9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2016 7:55 AM by Ernesta

Copy freezes up Lightroom CC (2015)

EPICDirector Level 1

Recently added a third monitor with a new (Adobe approved) graphics card (i.e. NVidia GTX 960). "Use Graphics processor" Preferences (Edit>Preferences>Performance) remains Unchecked, as per recommendations.

Opening LR into any module is fine. Highlight an image, Switch to Develop Module, make changes all work as they should. Try to copy the changes with the "Copy" button (left side of the module) and the "Save what" dialog never pops up. Subsequently any click of any button, including "Close Lightroom" (the "X") is unresponsive. I have to use Task Manager to close the program.

I've tried "Use Graphics processor" checked and unchecked - no difference. Please help.

• 1. Re: Copy freezes up Lightroom CC (2015)
          F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure to use the latest driver from Nvidia: Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

• 2. Re: Copy freezes up Lightroom CC (2015)
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The dialog is likely showing up behind another window on one of your monitors and so the program hangs until you find that hidden window and click ok on it. My guess is that the windowing system is confused with three monitors. Lightroom also only really knows how to deal with two. Disconnect one and see if it still happens.

• 3. Re: Copy freezes up Lightroom CC (2015)
              EPICDirector Level 1

Thanks F. McLion - I should have added that despite the drivers downloaded after install of the NVidia card, I double checked both the NVidia card and the Intel onboard graphics card (still has a audio output I use) and both have drivers that are up-to-date. I even double checked twice.

Also tried disabling the Intel HDGraphics 4600 card (Device Manager> Display adapters > (Rt click) Intel HD graphics 4600 and choose Disable) and running Lightroom without audio. But the audio confirmations really help confirm something is wrong - I get the WINDOWs "Wrong click" BLIING, when I click anything on the LR board after the "Copy" click has locked it up.

I also should add Lightroom worked fine with one monitor off the intel card. "Copy" button did what copy button should.

I should also add a recent discovery after Jao VDLs suggestion - With both graphics cards working, I start LR, minimize the window to the smallest I can make it while still seeing the "Copy" button. Drag the small window to straddle the 2 monitors. Click the copy button. Only Lightroom locks up! I can access the desktop and launch other programs, access Cortana, reach the task tray...etc. Any click on the LR window, even the close button, gives me the error BLIING and no response. So it is a LR error not dual monitor or system (WIN10) error, or so it  seems.
              Can anyone with a dual monitor system duplicate the problem? Or say theirs does not replicate the "copy" button lock-out problem?

• 4. Re: Copy freezes up Lightroom CC (2015)
                EPICDirector Level 1

Thanks JAO VDL - That suggestion makes a lot of sense. The "hiding" dialog window, waiting for an answer and locking up behind the main window makes sense. I have not shut down monitor #3 yet but I did do this:

With both graphics cards working, I start LR, minimize the window to the smallest I can make it while still seeing the "Copy" button. Drag the small window to straddle the 2 monitors. Click the copy button. Only Lightroom locks up! I can access the desktop and launch other programs, access Cortana, reach the task tray...etc. Any click on the LR window, even the close button, gives me the error BLIING and no response. So it is a LR error not dual monitor or system (WIN10) error, or so it  seems.

Can anyone with a dual monitor system duplicate the problem? Or say theirs does not replicate the "copy" button lock-out problem?

• 5. Re: Copy freezes up Lightroom CC (2015)
                  EPICDirector Level 1

Part of Jao vdL's answer was the answer. I was not able to prove that a popup dialog was opening under one of the windows, but I did take down and disconnect the whole 3rd monitor and cabling to it and low and behold, it seems to be working with two monitors. Which is a real disappointment because I had no idea Lightroom would only work with two max. Had I known that I would not have upgraded my card (NVidia had a 3 monitor output plus a HDMI) and bought new cabling.
                  Plus another disappointment - one of the first things this forum says when "Develop module" problems freeze up the LR program is to deactivate the graphics processor. One of the touted advantages of the speed accelerators of LR CC (2015) was that it utilized a speed boost from the Graphics card.

New and improved and theoretically faster because it uses your graphics card, but don't "use graphics processor" because it will freeze up LR. What?!

• 6. Re: Copy freezes up Lightroom CC (2015)
                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

New and improved and theoretically faster because it uses your graphics card, but don't "use graphics processor" because it will freeze up LR. What?!

In your case I would keep the GPU acceleration turned on as you have a fairly current card. The caution is usually because it tends to slow things down on older graphics cards when doing a boatload of local edits. Everything else is much faster with GPU turned on especially on high resolution monitors even with older cards. Turning it on does not freeze up Lightroom in my experience so I would not turn it off for that.

• 7. Re: Copy freezes up Lightroom CC (2015)
                      erinm52698684 Level 1

I am currently having the same problem but I only have ONE monitor!!! What on earth could i be doing wrong?

• 8. Re: Copy freezes up Lightroom CC (2015)
                        EPICDirector Level 1

Thanks Joa vdL - I will tentatively try turning on GPU acceleration in Preferences.
                        To all that have this problem, including erinm52698684 - Jao vdL hit on a very important quirk of LR. Even with two monitors, the "copy settings" dialog (the pop up that should occur when in the develop module one clicks the "copy" button on the left side) pops up on the opposite monitor, often under open windows! This is a flaw in my opinion - that popup should be on top of the active window. It is needing a response. It locks up LR until you give it a response (although I never tried esc). For us to chase after the dialog on another monitor or under an open window makes no sense.

• 9. Re: Copy freezes up Lightroom CC (2015)
                          Ernesta Level 1

I am also having this problem with one monitor. It started midway during a develop session a few months ago, when I wanted to Copy the settings. It would indeed appear that there should be a pop up somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere, so the only thing I can do is shut LR through the task manager.

The same thing happens when I want to Copy Settings in the Library Module.

Any help greatly appreciated!