4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2016 12:28 PM by JoeKostoss

Cannot load images from Hard Drive into Photoshop main page.

JCM Level 1

This is a problem that I've had for over a year. Nothing wrong with my Mac Book Pro.

12 months ago no image would download from my HD's (Le Cie) to the lightroom . My Catalogue is on my main HD. In the left column (LR) the HD features, plus the years, and months...but no images pop up. This should take seconds. After two months of talking to many people at Adobe no one had any idea what the problem was. I took the laptop to Apple twice and all was well. Once or twice the images suddenly appeared during a conversation with you people, but this in fact didn't make things better. It stopped, and the tech person was gone thinking he'd fixed the problem. Of course he hadn't. Suddenly they did appear in about Nov/Dec of last year.  I  opened the HDs,  then the LR and then had to wait up to 45 minutes. I was so grateful that they were appearing at all, that I did not pursue  any more the long phone calls with Adobe...was totally sick and tired of repeating myself 15 times or more!

An acquaintance I know who has been teaching for years and knows the programmes really well, says he has never seen this happen, nor the "delayed loading."

Recently I had had more issues and today the images have again not loaded. I am printing for a show and this is IMPOSSIBLE.

Further, I have LR and Photoshop CC on subscription from Adobe and this will be now the second year. Somehow I do not feel I am getting my money's worth!!

Can someone help?

Jennifer

• 1. Re: Cannot load images from Hard Drive into Photoshop main page.
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're communicating with primarily other users like yourself on this forum. Most of us have no connection with Adobe whatsoever. Are you receiving any error messages when you try to import?

• 2. Re: Cannot load images from Hard Drive into Photoshop main page.
            JCM Level 1

No...nothing happens and nothing loads. Adobe just says they don't know. Have been on line with them last year possibly 6 - 8 hours in total... I've spent many hours also clearing up my catalogues, throwing out tiny images, clearing space. There is plenty of space on the HD (and on the Mac) but even this should not cause the problem... Just noticed that after 8 hours today the images did load...but it will happen again and I am completely in the dark as to why... also why they don't load instantly like everyone else. Why 45 minutes!

Thanks for listening...J

• 3. Re: Cannot load images from Hard Drive into Photoshop main page.
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Can you please clarify it this happens in the Import dialog, or if it is the Lightroom Library that doesn't load images - i.e. when you launch the program.

A screenshot of the problem could also be helpful. (please include the entire Lighroom window)

• 4. Re: Cannot load images from Hard Drive into Photoshop main page.
                JoeKostoss Level 4

JCM wrote:

No...nothing happens and nothing loads...

Exactly what does this mean?  Are you trying to import images from the HD into Lightroom?  Or have these images already been imported and are not showing in the grid?  If you are importing new images into your catalog, are you creating 1:1 previews?  How many images are you importing?

JCM wrote:

...I've spent many hours also clearing up my catalogues...

How many catalogs do you have?  You are not re-importing old images into a new catalog, right?

JCM wrote:

... also why they don't load instantly like everyone else. Why 45 minutes!

Unless you are importing, the catalog is the only file that loads and this usually happens in seconds; this is regardless of where the actual images are stored.  Even if the HD is unplugged from the computer, the catalog loads very quickly.