8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2016 5:38 AM by Roei Tzoref

Ruffmercy effect

OpuSsS

Hi all!

I was looking at the latest RUFFMERCY Video posted on his vimeo channel ( https://vimeo.com/179482594 ). I'm familiar with the process of drawing my frame animations in photoshop and then importing in on my footage in AE. But i was trying to figure out about the video effects he's using in this video. There's hand drawn FX, Pixel sorting, Animated texture applied and then i'm stucked : how does he get the look on the following image :

Could anybody help me with that pastel color look on his face?

Thanks a lot!

[Moved from the forum Lounge to the After Effects forum - MOD]

• 1. Re: Ruffmercy effect
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Forum Lounge is not for technical help, please provide the name of the specific program you are using so your message may be moved to the correct program forum

• 2. Re: Ruffmercy effect
            OpuSsS Level 1

Ooops sorry! I am using after effects!

• 3. Re: Ruffmercy effect
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Any number of displacement effects in combination with channel effects. You splice out the red, green and blue using e.g. Shift Channels, apply the distortion, colorize everything and then recombine the pre-compositions using blending modes. Same for any sort of video distortion.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Ruffmercy effect
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

you take a noisy/grainy/grungy film scan and place it on top with a blend mode and can also use the same layer as a displacement map for the footage below. just have to pick the right one. there you go: FILMLOOKS.COM | Authentic Film Scans for Digital Artists. you can also try this: AE Pixel Sorter - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

post your results! this looks interesting

• 5. Re: Ruffmercy effect
                  OpuSsS Level 1

Hey,

Thanks for your answers guys! I'm not a big after effects expert, sorry if i keep asking questions! I've tried your split method, but i feel like i'm missing something, the result isn't that great... So this is what i've got so far :

Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 12.34.26.png

My process :

1. I duplicated the footage 3 times, and applied on each a displacement map ( One is RED isolated, one is green, one is blue ).

2. Then again on each footage, i applied a displacement map, and set all 3 footages to "Screen".Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 12.38.23.png

4. Then i applied a black&white scratch texture and se it to "Screen"

3. On top of that, i applied an Adjustment Layer with the following presets : Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 12.40.17.png

But i don't feel like the result is similar to his footage.. Can't figure out what i'm missing! Some help again would be wonderful

• 6. Re: Ruffmercy effect
                    But i don't feel like the result is similar to his footage.. Can't figure out what i'm missing!

There are so many things going on in the reference you provided. pick one short segment (one cut) and let's try to dissect it.

This artist is very interesting! thank you for introducing his work. this is an interview with him when he shares a bit of this technique: Talking Scrawl With Music Video Director/Producer RUFFMERCY :: Design :: Features :: Paste

From the article

"MERCY’s scrawl videos are truly produced frame by frame. Often, if MERCY directs a video he plans to draw over, he pays particular consideration of how lighting will affect the scrawl, without knowing yet what (or where) the scrawl will be. “One of my favorites is Blue Daisy’s (UFCK A RAP SONG), I just drew all over him—all over his skin and such,” explains MERCY, “he loved it, he’s a left field weirdo rapper.” The scrawl takes different forms depending on the style of the artist. In a video for Grammy-nominated British singer/songwriter MNEK’s single ‘Wrote a Song About You’, MERCY highlights the artist’s bright patterned sweaters, to give a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air-style ‘80s feel, whereas, for Run the Jewels’ latest ‘Lie, Cheat, Steal’, MERCY decided to “alter their eyes and bring out their teeth, make it a bit more cartoonish.”

Scrawling over a video generally takes two to three weeks and involves pulling the original video into Adobe Photoshop and drawing on black video layers overtop of the original reel. For the actual scrawling process, MERCY uses a Wacom tablet and once the various video layers are completed, the project is transferred to Adobe After Effects, where colors, filters and finishing touches are added.

As you can see this is a lot of work and if you want to imitate it you should examine if it's an effect or really frame by frame graphic treatment. that's why you need to focus on one segment so we can try to determine which is which and do our best. obviously this artist has perfected his skill and uses his own recipes, we can only try to do the same but we can never know exactly.

• 7. Re: Ruffmercy effect
                      OpuSsS Level 1

Hey Roei,

Yeah, he's amazing! I'm amazed by his videos everytime!

For now i'm really focusing on trying to understand the split colors/video treatment on his face (as on the screenshot!)

For the scrawling, it's the final part and the animations have already been prepared

• 8. Re: Ruffmercy effect
                        split colors/video treatment on his face

it's called Chromatic aberrations and there are several ways to do this in Ae. M showed you one way to do it. there are other ways do this with plugins.