8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 2:45 AM by ron.ganbar

Position value in minus thousands and still seeing the image. How come?

ron.ganbar

Hi there,

I have three text layers with a mask each. Their position is set to -7000,-7000. Their anchor points are 0,0. For some reason the layers are still visible in the viewport.

There are no cameras, nulls or an expressions. How come I'm still seeing the layers? They should be far away outside the screen.

The reason I'm asking is that I need to copy that position to another layer, and when I do, the other layer is off somewhere outside the screen.

The example can be downloaded here.

Thanks

Ron

• 1. Re: Position value in minus thousands and still seeing the image. How come?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You probably have text animators applied to the text. Also make sure you are actually in the "Active Camera" view when working in 3D, even if there is no actual camera layer.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Position value in minus thousands and still seeing the image. How come?
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

I don't know exactly how you got to this type of situation where you have baked keyframes for every frame in position

but the reason you are seeing these extreme position values is because your anchor point is in another galaxy (or you should say: the position is in another galaxy and the anchor point is placed in 0,0 and there is an offset to set position visible in you composition)

when you add a native vector layer in Ae (text or shapes) you are actually placing an element inside a layer. the element can have it's own transformations inside the layer itself and this is what's making this strange behavior even possibe (although I could not reproduce it). so in this case your layer's anchor, although it's on 0,0 values, is way off. I don't really know how you got in this mess but this whole setup is very strange anyways. the reason you can't see the other layers is that the mask is hiding them

this is a very basic movement so I would not bother trying to fix it but just start from scratch, but I am curious to know how exactly did you manage to get in this kind of trouble? so please share. I am interested in breaking Ae apart as much as I am interested in making it work

• 3. Re: Position value in minus thousands and still seeing the image. How come?
              ron.ganbar Level 1

Hi Roei,

thanks for trying to help.

I'm well aware of everything you say, but I really need to figure out this specific case.

I need to understand why this specific case is the way it is. How come, even though position is in the thousands and anchor point is 0 and there are no parent layers or cameras, I'm still seeing the image. Where is this anchor point shift information held?

By the way, having a keyframe on every frame is achieved by baking animation. This can be done wither by using AE's native "convert expression to keyframes", or by using a script from AEscripts called "bake parent transform".

• 4. Re: Position value in minus thousands and still seeing the image. How come?

but I really need to figure out this specific case. I need to understand why this specific case is the way it is.

O.K, I want to know too. so how exactly did you make this setup?  let's go over step by step. this baked frames and position offset from anchor did not happen by itself. please specify your workflow exactly.

How come, even though position is in the thousands and anchor point is 0 and there are no parent layers or cameras, I'm still seeing the image.

you are seeing the image because in some way, maybe by scripts of some other weird code you probably utilized or maybe a bug (but let's see what you did exactly first), you have place your text way off the in the layer dimensions. as if you added a text and pressed enter for a long time, and only then you have moved it back into place. here's me doing this with pressing enter many times. this can only happen with text and shapes because like I said they have their own space inside the layer.

with shapes it's even easier to demonstrate

as you can see, the anchor point is 0,0 and the position compensates for the offset and placed in the visible part of the composition - same as your project. how did this happen in your project? why? we can only tell by reproducing your exact steps.

Where is this anchor point shift information held?

what do you mean? you can see the anchor point information in the transformations as well as position. the offset is just the way anchor point works with position - they compensate each other with their special relationship. you have managed to break them in some way and create a situation where when they are in their default values - your text is way off. show us how you broke after effects please

By the way, having a keyframe on every frame is achieved by baking animation. This can be done wither by using AE's native "convert expression to keyframes"

I know, but why did you do that?

• 5. Re: Position value in minus thousands and still seeing the image. How come?
                  ron.ganbar Level 1

Hi there.

There are no text animators and the comp is 2d.

• 6. Re: Position value in minus thousands and still seeing the image. How come?
                    ron.ganbar Level 1

I've asked someone at Adobe about this, and he's trying to find out.

It appears that it's a bug somehow. I'll report back when I hear something.

I didn't do this project. I have clients, they send some animation, and my script does something to that animation. But if the animation doesn't make sense, like in this example, my script won't work. So I need to account for these scenarios too, which is not going to be easy.

Somewhere in this comp there's an offset added to the anchor point. It's not written anywhere, but if there wasn't, we wouldn't be seeing the image. It's hidden in the internals of the code. Dark, black mojo stuff.

When I hear something I'll report back.

• 7. Re: Position value in minus thousands and still seeing the image. How come?

Thanks for the update. sorry if I was pointing the obvious. you can't really tell what's Op's experience level and if that information was provided at the first post (client, script, odd offset that has to work, well aware of the basics etc.) I would have written probably to send a bug report. good luck and please update on the result.

• 8. Re: Position value in minus thousands and still seeing the image. How come?
                        ron.ganbar Level 1

Absolutely, Roei. You're right.

Thanks again for trying.