4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 11:30 AM by dreamingsod

organizing folders causes photos missing icon

dreamingsod

I'm just getting started--still on my free trial. I used the plug-in to import my iphoto library. Lightroom automatically created a Lightroom Masters file that it put everything in, and then in the Lightroom library, files were automatically sorted into subfolders by date.

I don't like that date system (one of the reasons I want to switch to Lightroom) so I started to try to organize the folders better. Here's where things got screwy.

I had watched the tutorials that said to always go through Lightroom if you're changing the location of folders or renaming them--don't go outside of it or Lightroom won't be able to find the file. So, I only went through Lightroom. I created a new folder (called !!legacy) and put everything in that. Then I selected four files, and created a new subfolder (comics and sketches) within the legacy folder that I put those in.

That seemed to work--the new subfolder appeared, below all the other dated ones, and had the files I'd selected in it. But when I did that, all of a sudden, all of these other photos in the main "!!legacy" folder started showing an exclamation mark ! next to them. When I hover over, it says "photo is missing."

These are photos I haven't touched at all (they're not among the four that I moved into the comics and sketches subfolder). I don't know how to find them and repair the path because I didn't move them in the first place. When I click on the ! it gives me this message:Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 3.33.18 PM.pngIf I click on "locate" it opens my finder and shows me a folder it says is 2006-02-01:Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 3.38.35 PM.pngand if I search within that for "ivoryhorse" it shows me three files with the exact same name but says it can't open them.

--Argh! And now, as I was typing this, Lightroom just unexpectedly quit. And when I restarted it, all the exclamation marks were gone. Apparently it found them again, I guess? But I don't know how, because again, I hadn't successfully "located" them.

So, I guess now my question is--is Lightroom really this buggy--is it going to freak out constantly as I try to organize my files into different folders within Lightroom? If so it seems like I really can't go with it, even though I really wanted to. (Also, when I restarted LR it said I was now on my third trial day, instead of my second--even though it's only my second and earlier today that's what it said. What's up with that?)

• 1. Re: organizing folders causes photos missing icon
          dj_paige Level 9

It would help if your screen capture of folder 2006-02-01 showed the items you are discussing in your text.

I'm also guessing (I am not a MAC person) that the double exclamation point in the folder name !!legacy might be a problem.

Lastly, I gently suggest that you are going about using Lightroom to organize your photo in the wrong manner. Instead of moving files and folders from here to there (which I consider to be a waste of time), use keywords and other metadata to achieve organization, not folders. There are a bazillion advantages to doing things this way and few disadvantages; whereas there are many disadvantages to organizing by folders.. I'm short on time, but if you want to know what those are, just ask.

• 2. Re: organizing folders causes photos missing icon
            dreamingsod Level 1

Thanks for replying...I wanted to go screencapture the ivoryhorse file example, but LR shut down before I could, and then when I pulled it back up, the ! missing photo icons were gone, so I couldn't get back to that.

The !!legacy folder name was suggested by someone whose organizing-for-lightroom blogpost I read, in order to keep it at the top (since lightroom alphabetizes folders, and the other ones all start with numbers). It didn't seem to cause a problem when I changed it, although I too felt a little hesitant about it.

I do plan to work more with keywords. But I don't yet have keywords at all, and I wanted to sort the folders into some broad categories rather than having everything completely willy nilly as it is now. I like the ability to be able to read through the folder list and be reminded of what's. I just want to be able to see an overview of what I have by sorting into rough categories with the folders--I feel like then I will also be able to add keywords more easily because I won't have to go through photo by photo.

• 3. Re: organizing folders causes photos missing icon
              dj_paige Level 9

I do plan to work more with keywords. But I don't yet have keywords at all, and I wanted to sort the folders into some broad categories rather than having everything completely willy nilly as it is now.

Again I suggest to you that putting this effort into organizing via folders is less than optimal. The folders by capture date, which you said above you don't like, will be perfectly usable with keywords.

I like the ability to be able to read through the folder list and be reminded of what's.

You can do this using your list of keywords

I just want to be able to see an overview of what I have by sorting into rough categories with the folders--I feel like then I will also be able to add keywords more easily because I won't have to go through photo by photo.

Again, the work to do this using keywords may be simpler and less effort than doing this by creating folders and then moving photos into the desired folders. Or at the very least, creating keywords is the EXACT SAME amount of work as creating folders and moving photos into their respective folders. But, as stated above, there are huge advantages to using keywords for this purpose, Using keywords allows you to use Lightroom's strengths, rather than using folders which essentially means you are avoiding Lightroom's strengths.

• 4. Re: organizing folders causes photos missing icon
                dreamingsod Level 1

Ok, thanks. I still think I'm going to do *some* folder organization because I've already started, and I still don't know if I'm going to stick with lightroom; if I decide not to after the trial membership, I'll at least have the rough organization of categories.