4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 3:33 PM by Ann Bens

Premiere Elements 4: Still possible to buy & graphic card compatibility question

jenny1212188

Dear all,

I am looking for help with two questions concerning Adobe Premiere Elements 4.

1. The first is about buying a new copy:
        Does somebody know if and how we can still buy a new copy from this 'dinosaur'?
        My boss is namely still working with Premiere Elements 4. He knows exactly how it works and sometimes tried more recent versions but in the end always decided that PREL 4 is the best. Because of his reluctance to switch to a newer version and the intensity with which he is using the program, I am sometimes a little bit afraid that the present program might 'break'  or stop working (it's breaking down pretty often) and that then we might not be able to install the program again from the dvd, on the same computer or a new one, because also this is of course very old and we have been installing it already a few times.
        I also don't know how many licences it has: can we theoretically install it endless times or does it has a limit? I think by now it has been installed on 4 computers, is this the maximum or don't we have to worry about this?

2. The second thing is that his projects are by now getting bigger and bigger and also the computer is starting to have it's difficulties. We are in the processes of buying a new working station but are a little bit concerned if the graphic card which we would like to buy (we are thinking about a nVidia Quadro M4000 - 8 GB) is compatible with PREL 4.

I hope that somebody can help us,

Thank you already in advance for your help!

Warm regards,

Jenny

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 4: Still possible to buy & graphic card compatibility question
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Version 4 may be available on eBay -- but it's over 10 years, which is an eternity in terms of technology.

Version 4 could pretty much work well with miniDV and HDV tape-based video, and that's about it. Everything else was a hybrid solution. It certainly can't edit AVCHD or MP4 or non-camcorder video.

It's also based on 32-bit architecture, so it can't use more than 3 gigs of RAM and it certainly won't benefit in any way from an advanced graphics card.

So it's kind of like buying a 1982 Chrysler. You might still be able to do it -- but you're kind of locking yourself in to some pretty primitive technology.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 4: Still possible to buy & graphic card compatibility question
            jenny1212188 Level 1

Thank you for your quick reply!

Okay, so you don't think it's anyhow possible to still obtain a new copy, directly from Adobe or from elsewhere?

The idea behind the new computer and graphic card is also to keep at least the option open for a more recent version of Premiere, just in case we would ever succeed in convincing our boss to switch (or the program really breaks down and there is no other option anymore than moving forward).

Do you think that Premiere 4 (or also other versions or Premiere) would at least work with this card or would you really advice another one?

Here the full specs we have so far in mind (adviced by a company which is specialized in building computers but of course they are not specifically known with Adobe software):

• Processor XEON 2,4 with 6 cores 3,2 GHz per core
            • 1 TB HDD hard disc
            • 16 GB Ram and 2 x 8 GB will be added to finally get 32 GB Ram
            • Graphic card nVidia Quadro M4000 - 8 GB

Any feedback is welcome since we are definitely not experts by ourselves and only know what we are able to research by ourselves on the internet and from advice from others.

Many greetings and again already many thanks,

Jenny

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 4: Still possible to buy & graphic card compatibility question
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Much depends on the model of camcorder you're getting your video from.

But with those specs, you definitely want to look into Premiere Elements 14. Version 4 would be wasted on a machine that powerful.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 4: Still possible to buy & graphic card compatibility question
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why do you need a new copy.

Duplicate the cd or dvd you already have.

No way Adobe has an E4 lying around.

And I doubt it will run on the new machine.

It is like tying to run a Deux Chevaux on a Formule 1 engine.