15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 2:57 AM by PAWU

Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?

Steinmans Level 1

Hello I am using Lightroom for more than a year and I am satisfied.

What I cannot find back anywhere is if there are possibilities to share your photos with LR, or without a possibility to download them for customers

Or download them in LR but with a watermark.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
          JoeKostoss Level 4

Best way to do this is to export images from Lightroom at a low pixel dimension with a watermark to a folder on your computer and then share that folder outside of Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
            Steinmans Level 1

Yes, that's a solution, but quite a long flow, I was wondering if there were no other solutions.

500pix creates a watermark in the pictures you place there...

As a solution I exported a stack of photos as a presentation in PDF with watermarks, it is possible with lightroom, that was the best I could think of. The presentation is unfortunately not so nice as I am used to with LR.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
              dj_paige Level 9

You want to block downloading of your photos. Download from where?

• 4. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
                Steinmans Level 1

I want a potential customer to show my photos, without the possibility to download these images and use them on his website.

The only way I know to share photos in the lightroom-flow is to make a folder in LR sychronise it with LR mobile and sent the link via LR mobile to customer. I can see that images are already reduced to low res, but they are still good enough to use them in a website....

So an automatic watermark by LR would be very nice. You van do it with presentations.

• 5. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're talking about sharing via the CC method using Lightroom on the Web? In that case you can't automatically add a watermark - and I agree, it's a huge problem for this kind of workflow. It's amazing that Adobe haven't fixed it yet, but I don't give up hope. Anyway, for now you'll just have to export JPEGs with watermarks, import them into Lr and sync them to a collection which you then share.

• 6. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
                    Abambo Level 4

Let face it:

You cannot show your pictures on a web site and prevent downloading of the pictures. Even if you can disable the right mouse button via coding, there is always a possibility to get the pictures out of your control.

however what you can do to protect your property:

• Adding a watermark -> It's an option of the export function in LR

(You can add your own export presets, this makes exporting quite simple)
                      Watermarks, especially when using the whole picture size, are very obtrusive. They however do not provide a 100% protection.
                    • Exporting pictures at a low resolution, high compression. (see picture above: the example will create picture with a maximum of 640 pixels on one side w or h, the other resolution will be forced to respect the aspect).
                    • Adding your (c) information in the EXIF data fields

(as this does not prevent anything, it's worth adding, as this can be automated during import)
                    • using programs to spider the web for your pictures
                    • There are commercial solutions available (digimarc) to put an invisible watermark on the picture. This does not prevent theft, but will help to identify your images.

The best protection is low resolution pictures with a quality level, that does not allow for much additional manipulation.

2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
                      Steinmans Level 1

Hi txs to you all,

unfortunately no new info to me, but on the other hand I am sure now that I have not overseen a good flow.

When I present my photos to customers I decide to have the flow in which I export photos to lowres, put a watermark and import again. After which I share it in LR.

The other flow is to make a presentation, put in the watermark with LR and export presentation as PDF.

Exporting as movie makes it much to big and takes a lot of time

• 8. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
                        Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Short answer as noted above is to not use LR/mobile for this and use a third party web hosting solution like smugmug, dropbox, Zenfolio, flickr, Facebook, etc. etc. and make sure that the website adds a watermark and restricts size or add a watermark in Lightroom and only export at small size. If you want to stay in the CC universe, you can use your creative cloud drive. Export to a folder in there using small size and watermarks and use the web interface to the create cloud drive and send a sharing link from there.

• 9. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
                          misterphelps

There is no way that you can keep a determined individual from displaying your photos.    You can disable right click save, but anyone can simply do a screen capture, crop, save as jpg and re-post the image.  Doesn't matter if you supply images as PDF, or any other format for that matter, there are ways around it.

I'd suggest watermarking your images.  Make sure that when you export the images that your metadata is included - especially your copyright and creator information.  Inform the recipients in writing at time of delivery that the photos are for review only and no use, posting, or publication is permitted without your express written consent.  If you are in the US, I'd promptly register the images with the Copyright Office.  This won't keep a determined person from infringing your work, but it will maximize your options in dealing with them should they do so.

@ did a nice job explaining the LR options.

• 10. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
                            Steinmans Level 1

I agree, but hoped for another solution...

• 11. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
                              Abambo Level 4

This will not prevent download as asked by the OP. That is not possible. For the rest: Export only watermarked low resolution copies to the presentation site of your choice. That is the best and only protection for your pictures.

• 12. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
                                PAWU Level 1

Jao vdL wrote:

Short answer as noted above is to not use LR/mobile for this and use a third party web hosting solution like smugmug, dropbox, Zenfolio, flickr, Facebook, etc. etc. and make sure that the website adds a watermark and restricts size or add a watermark in Lightroom and only export at small size. If you want to stay in the CC universe, you can use your creative cloud drive. Export to a folder in there using small size and watermarks and use the web interface to the create cloud drive and send a sharing link from there.

Neither Dropbox, Flickr or Facebook put watermarks on the pictures. You need to apply those in LR! You also should restrict the size of your pictures during the LR-export. When you upload only a restricted size picture, the picture thief cannot steal a high resolution picture. There is no miracle solution here.

If you work as a pro photographer, best is to make a price on shooting, which includes restricted size, watermarked pictures for enumerated use, like fb posting. With your watermark on the picture, you will get advertising for free. You shouldn't try to disallow, what cannot be disallowed. Use it to your advantage.

• 13. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
                                  Steinmans Level 1

What you say is right but in daily practice you cannot bargain so many options.

It is in my price list mentioned but;

The trend is that a customer buys pictures, in HQ and even try to get right free use for a very low price.

Of Course you are free to refuse, but you want to eat as well....

Not every photographer is in the position to follow your advice.

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Is it possible to share in low res or without permittance to download?
                                    PAWU Level 1

I buy my pictures with all rights attached. The photographer needs to sign anyhow a non-disclosure agreement. And we too need to get authorization for publication from our customers. It's a complicated world. I pay the job by time and effort. The photographer gets his earning by recurrent jobs. I know that some photographers refuse working like this, but I offer contract work. But there is no such thing like free meal and professional work merits professional prices.

The problem is that the world changed to the good and bad in the same time. The big problem is, that there are many cameras out with little talent. You only have to push a button...

Sorry about that, but there is no solution to your problem.