4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 8:21 AM by EdwardJohnAllen

Recovery of images after using control-alt-shift-delete within a collection

EdwardJohnAllen Level 1

Today a make a really dumb move and accidentally used the control-alt-shift-delete command to remove 31 images from within a Collection (whereas all I really wanted to do was remove from that particular Collection. D'oh!!!! D'oh!!!! D'oh!!!!)

(This is on a PC running Version 6.6.1 of Lr and Win 10, and I learnt the command from a post years ago: Re: Ways to "Batch  delete" )

I immediately went to the recycle bin and found 6 images in there and used the restore command from the recycle bin and hopefully these have been "put back"

Can I ask the following please:

1. If there were only 6 images from the recycle bin, does that mean that the other 25 deleted images in the collection were Lr Copies of original RAW files, and that therefore the the 25 Raw originals will still be OK? (I use Copies quite a bit, but without some way of checking I just don't know)  Is it correct to assume that Lr destroys all Copies for good in this scenario?
      2. Are there any other "recovery protocols" I can try to reinstate all the 31 images "as was"?
      3. What's the best way to re-sync the 6 files I have restored from the recycle bin? Should I use Synchronise Folders?

Now, IF I have lost the RAW files (which is my real concern here) I do have recent and complete backups on external Hard drives of all catalogs and all RAW images too that will contain these "lost" images (whether RAW OR just Copies), BUT is there a protocol for somehow identifying which specific files have been deleted and then copying them back "into place" from one of the backups I have? (Keeping mind mind I am unsure which files have been deleted!!) I am wary of just copying over ALL Catalogs & Images from the backup, as this will undo other recent work, so I am looking ideally to just bring in the "lost" items if at all possible? 

Thanks in advance for your assistance on this messy issue!

• 1. Re: Recovery of images after using control-alt-shift-delete within a collection
          dj_paige Level 9
          1. Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Delete immediately and without a dialog prompt removes the photos from Lightroom and from your hard disk. If they original RAW photos are not in the trash, then they are not on your computer. The photos are also no longer imported into your catalog. There is no such thing as "Lr Copies of original RAW files"
          2. You could try a program called an "undelete utility"
          3. Never tried this, but certainly import would work here, but see my next paragraph

Now, IF I have lost the RAW files (which is my real concern here) I do have recent and complete backups on external Hard drives of all catalogs and all RAW images too that will contain these "lost" images (whether RAW OR just Copies), BUT is there a protocol for somehow identifying which specific files have been deleted and then copying them back "into place" from one of the backups I have? (Keeping mind mind I am unsure which files have been deleted!!) I am wary of just copying over ALL Catalogs & Images from the backup, as this will undo other recent work, so I am looking ideally to just bring in the "lost" items if at all possible?

You need to copy a recent backup of the catalog file to some other location (not in the same folder as the backups), then double-click on it to open it. Your edits and user-supplied metadata are in there. Use the Find Missing Files command to have Lightroom determine which photos are now missing. Then copy the backups of the desired photos to the location in your original folder hierarchy that these photos were in previously. This should cause the photos to be reconnected in Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Recovery of images after using control-alt-shift-delete within a collection
            Abambo Adobe Community Professional

What do you mean with LR Copies? Virtual Copies?

If those pictures were virtual copies, Windows does not know about them, as they only exist in a database (the LR database) as a set of

developing parameters and a reference to a physical file. And yes, as the trash is a Windows tool, those pictures would be gone!

The snip shows what hapens when you delete the original master photo:

...which makes your shortcut very dangerous.

I did the test on a test catalog. Simply by deleting the master files, the VCs are gone too. As there is no undo for this, you will have a problem.

The catalog backup will bring back your VCs, but I am not aware of a tool comparing 2 catalogs.

If you are using a backup program for backing up your pictures, that program should provide some method comparing what is on the disk and what is in the current backup set.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Recovery of images after using control-alt-shift-delete within a collection
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It helps others help you if you use the exact terms that Lightroom uses. By "Lr Copies", do you mean what Lightroom calls "virtual copies"?

If there are only 6 images in the recycle bin, and you have not emptied the bin recently, then it's possible the missing 25 are virtual copies - if you use them that much. Synchronise Folders would bring them back into Lightroom, but be careful to watch how many photos it imports. Or just import them the usual way.

Once they are back, do a careful review of these folders to ensure everything has been restored. If you are not 100% sure, open a backup catalogue and compare with how many images you now have. There are no real shortcuts here - when you use Alt Ctrl Shift Delete, you're going off piste.

If you have done a lot of work on these 6, one could recover that work (even the VCs) using a backup catalogue. We can talk you through it, but it may be as quick to just do the editing again.

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Recovery of images after using control-alt-shift-delete within a collection
                EdwardJohnAllen Level 1

Thanks All, I think you've covered the options open to me.

Yes to clarify I meant "virtual copies"