5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 11:55 AM by innerspaceouterspace

Attach Proxies arguments

innerspaceouterspace Level 1

clip.attachProxy(path, true/false)

What's the true/false?
      If it's true, it looks like it's replacing in the bin. The clip gets renamed, shot timing gets altered (we're using metadata), and the path gets replaced.
      If false, acts as one would expect - it's attaching to the file, not replacing it.

• 1. Re: Attach Proxies arguments
          Bruce Bullis Adobe Employee

The second param is a 0 or 1; 0 = new path is proxy res, 1 = it's hi res.

• 2. Re: Attach Proxies arguments

Cool. Seems a bit weird that if it's a high res proxy, it would change the clipName and reread the metadata and adjust shottiming on the clip. I can't think of a reason why you'd want that to happen.

Correlated: Doesn't look like there's a way to remove proxies on a clip either through jsx or manually at all.

If this is an available feature, where would it be? The methods I see on a clip are canProxy, hasProxy, and attachProxy.

I can definitely update the proxies by running attachProxy and feeding in the new path, but there are cases where one might want to remove the proxy.

Edit: It would also be cool to be able to query the proxy that's attached. Don't really see a way to get the path of the current proxy attached to a clip.

Thanks Bruce.

• 3. Re: Attach Proxies arguments
              Bruce Bullis Adobe Employee

Cool. Seems a bit weird that if it's a high res proxy

It's a bit of an abuse of terminology, on our part; if you're setting the hi-res path for a projectItem, you are effectively calling replaceMedia(). You still need the hi-res option, because in some workflows you start with only the proxy, and have to attach to full-res later.

I can definitely update the proxies by running attachProxy and feeding in the new path, but there are cases where one might want to remove the proxy.

Completely reasonable API feature requested (B-122341).

• 4. Re: Attach Proxies arguments

Makes sense. Thanks!

• 5. Re: Attach Proxies arguments

I think I'll just keep tailing onto the end of this post so as not to flood the forum with topics.

I noticed something that should throw an error. Using clip.attachProxy() with a path that points to a proxy that doesn't work never shows an error dialog, it just fails silently. For instance, if I manually attach the proxy through the right click menu, I can get the following dialog to pop up:

proxymatching.JPG

But attaching a proxy through the API causes the same error on the same clip to fail silently.

It doesn't return anything back through JSX, either, so I can't check the result of attachProxy().

And I don't know if you saw this above for the API request, I did a ninja-edit and you might have missed it since our posts were close to each other in time:

Edit: It would also be cool to be able to query the proxy that's attached. Don't really see a way to get the path of the current proxy attached to a clip.