7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 6:53 AM by zivrom

How can i effectively create a "smearing" effect?

zivrom

making figures blur inside each other as they move, like in the movie "Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai"?

i saw a tutorial a few years ago, and it seems like it just vanished.

you can see the effect here:

https://youtu.be/xAlBlavGaB8?t=40

or just youtube "Ghost Dog - Swords On The Roof / Park Scene" and skip to 0:40

i want to have a camera sit on a rotating device in a middle of a room, and while its rotating slowly i want the people inside that room to walk around at normal speed, so when i speed up the video they will both move very quickly and blur and blend inside each other

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: How can i effectively create a "smearing" effect?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try the Echo effect on just the people. (Will require rotoscoping, keying, or otherwise making the people on their own layer.)

• 2. Re: How can i effectively create a "smearing" effect?
            zivrom Level 1

thank you for repling

in the video i saw (the one that disappeared) they use time remapping i think. wouldn't that cause that effect of doubling figuers?

i'm pretty sure u can do that without roto (and would obviously prefer that)

• 3. Re: How can i effectively create a "smearing" effect?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your camera isn't moving, you won't need roto.

Time remapping wouldn't cause the doubling of figures, it just adjusts the timing at which a layer plays.

• 4. Re: How can i effectively create a "smearing" effect?
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Time remapping could smear your footage if you speed it up and use CC Force Motion Blur. look here for an example: Quicksilver Super Speed Effect! - YouTube at 08:36. another popular way to do this type of smearing effects is to use CC Wide Time effect (it creates much more smear than Echo) while Time Stretching your video to lower percentage. for good results you should set your Frame Blending to "Frame mix" and Native Motion Blur to ON. don't forget to set 2 master switches of MB and FB. like this:

WideTime.gif

as for the specific example you showed of Ghost Dog. it was probably done with the echo effect :

Echo..gif

• 5. Re: How can i effectively create a "smearing" effect?
                  zivrom Level 1

YES! thank you very much!

so if i have a camera rotating really really slow and everyone walking around really fast, by speeding up the clip (as ryan did) so the camera will have normal speed and by adding force motion blur/echo/frame mix (pretty sure they used frame mix in the example i talked about in the begining), wouldn't i get the desire effect? everything else but the people walking is static so it should just be swirling in normal speed (after i speed up the very slow rotation in post and add the effect) and the people would smear without roto, right?

i would try it and not ask u if i could but unfortunately i wont get access to the gear for some time, and i want to be prepared beforehand.

Thanks again to all of you!

• 6. Re: How can i effectively create a "smearing" effect?
                    Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

the people/objects-moving-fast-while-the-shot-is-still is a common shot that has been seen many times. less common is the addition of camera motion. I believe you should make sure the camera is steady so the motion won't be jerky. I believe it's usually done with motion control rig of some sort.

Breaking Bad

House of Cards

House of Cards copycat

I think this one was done without the motion control but moving the image in post. can't be sure. just had a thought that with combination of Camera mapping in post you can get away with a little perspective motion. can't be sure.

bare in mind, I have not done this myself but If I had the challenge I believe I would use any of the technique that are in this post. I would definitely make a test shoot to see that it works well before paying for catering and crew come back with the results!

• 7. Re: How can i effectively create a "smearing" effect?
                      zivrom Level 1

Thank you. it'll be a while but i will