7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 1:41 PM by Szalam

Cuda or OpenGL?, is it working?

patrikl64

Hi all,

My first post.

Been reading about similar problems but am not sure how to be sure...

I use an old beloved MacPro, recently installed a Asus GTX 980 Ti which runs perfectly in Octane Render with good results in bench tests for gpu/opengl in 3D world.

In AE (CC 2014, would prefer not to upgrade to 2015) it is visible by the program and available for Cuda activation.

But, I am not sure if it is ”working”?

Seems slow. Seems faster when using OpenGL mode.

Drivers are updated.

No 3D inte the project, just some movie clips.

Is there a way to check if Cuda is doing what it is supposed to?

Anything else I might have missed?

Big thanks for any help.

/Patrik

• 1. Re: Cuda or OpenGL?, is it working?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Other than the obsolete ray-traced renderer, AE CC 2014 doesn't use the GPU for much at all. See this page. So... no, there's nothing you missed. AE CC 2014 just doesn't GPU!

May I ask why you don't want to try a newer version? And, if I may, why don't you want to try a newer version?

I can understand not going to AE CC 2015 (because there were a lot of people who reported issues with it), but AE CC 2015.3 has been pretty good. It's my favorite version of AE that's shipped so far! You can install it alongside AE CC 2014 without issue and you can use the same project files between the versions. So, if there's some reason AE CC 2015.3 isn't working for you, you can just open your project file in AE CC 2014 and carry on working.

(Just make sure you untick the box when you're installing a new version so that the CC app doesn't remove the older versions as mentioned here.)

• 2. Re: Cuda or OpenGL?, is it working?
            patrikl64 Level 1

Thanks Szalam,

Installed 2015.3 and it is much, much faster. I wasn't aware of that you could have both versions installed. Great. Its been a while since I was in AE...

But I’m still confused.

I’ve read what you talk about here:

No CUDA in After Effects : Adobe After Effects

...saying that Cuda is not SUPPORTED on MacOS?

In my Mac OS X AE settings I have activated gpu and Cuda, with the latest OS X drivers.

So, it is obviously supported, but maybe not as in Windows or what dos you mean?

In that case, what is the difference?...or is Walter wrong?

My gpu info:

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 11.07.10.png

Cheers

• 3. Re: Cuda or OpenGL?, is it working?

Walter is right, but Walter was talking about the new GPU acceleration of effects in AE. The screen you are looking at is in relation to the obsolete ray-traced renderer (which did use CUDA to create 3d geometry). Two very different things AE uses the GPU for. Two different conversations.

• 4. Re: Cuda or OpenGL?, is it working?
                patrikl64 Level 1

Now I’m really confused.

So, as the title reads; with what GPU setting in what mode do I benefit from one or/over the other? Today!

How do I know how to optimize my settings and what they are doing?

Thanks a lot for your input.

• 5. Re: Cuda or OpenGL?, is it working?

I don't know what you mean by "OpenGL mode". After Effects uses the GPU for very little (see this page). Since that page was written, the new version of After Effects (CC 2015.3) added GPU acceleration to three effects (Lumetri, new Gaussian Blur, and Sharpen).

The GPU acceleration of those three effects is done by OpenCL or Metal on Macs and CUDA or OpenCL on PC's (if PC's have AMD cards, it's Open CL only).

The GPU acceleration of the ray-traced renderer is done by CUDA only on all platforms. Otherwise it renders prohibitively slowly. (That's because it is built on NVIDIA's Optix technology - which is, I'm sure, among the reasons why the ray-traced rendering feature is effectively dead.)

AE uses OpenGL for the Cinema 4D renderer (draft/hardware mode - not the final render) and elements of the user interface.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Cuda or OpenGL?, is it working?
                    patrikl64 Level 1

Ok, I think I got it, sorta...

Big thanks for helping out, much appreciated.

cheers

• 7. Re: Cuda or OpenGL?, is it working?

No problem.