8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 10:45 AM by Conrad C

Anyone using mid 2012 MacBook pro with Indesign CC?

jkinsman Level 1

I am debating whether I should buy a new MacBook or if I should start just doing some cleaning and performance enhancements on my current macbook pro.

My macbook pro runs inDesign so incredibly slowly that I need to do something about it as it is extremely frustrating to work on. It meets all the minimum system requirements, but it just doesn't cut it if I want to be even close to productive.

So my question is anyone using an older macBook pro with InDesign CC successfully? I mean is it usable without having to wait like 10 minutes for it to load and a beachball every time you scroll?

Here are the specs of my macbook pro

Mid 2012

Processor: 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 6MB L3 cache

RAM: 8GB

HD: 1TB 7200 RRM drive

Rest of specs

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications

Is anyone using current macbook pros with indesign CC successfully? How is the performance. Is it a feasible option or should I just resign myself to the fact that I should always run it on a desktop system.

Thanks for the feedback

• 1. Re: Anyone using mid 2012 MacBook pro with Indesign CC?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

How many times have you upgraded the operating system? My guess would be that if you replaced the harddrive with a solid state model and did a clean install of the operating system you would speed things up substantially.

• 2. Re: Anyone using mid 2012 MacBook pro with Indesign CC?
            Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm working on book chapters with graphics on a 2011 15" MacBook Pro often connected to a 27" display, and performance is good. Your 8GB RAM should be OK, but the original hard drive may be slow by today's standard especially if it's getting full.

I replaced the original hard drive with an SSD. That has made the most difference. Before the SSD, the Mac was getting slower and slower. After the SSD, boot time is now a few seconds, and no beachballs in InDesign. And I rarely do a clean install.

• 3. Re: Anyone using mid 2012 MacBook pro with Indesign CC?
              kstohlmeyer1 Adobe Community Professional

I'm not a fortune teller, but there is an expected MacBook upgrade coming out this fall. If you were considering purchasing, I would wait until they come out. MacWorld buying guide actually has all Macs listed as "do not buy" due to their age and the new one's on the horizon.

• 4. Re: Anyone using mid 2012 MacBook pro with Indesign CC?
                jkinsman Level 1

I replaced the original hard drive a couple of months ago. I though it might be a failing hard drive. I have upgraded the OS every time there has been an upgrade since 2012 (so probably 4-5 times)

Yea I should do an SSD, however, I currently have about 500gb on my spin drive, so finding an ssd to accomodate that much data is almost impossible. What do you guys do. Are you replacing the superdrive with an SSD? Making the SSD the boot drive and leave all the files on the other?

Thanks for all your info and feedback.

• 5. Re: Anyone using mid 2012 MacBook pro with Indesign CC?

jkinsman wrote:

Yea I should do an SSD, however, I currently have about 500gb on my spin drive, so finding an ssd to accomodate that much data is almost impossible.

Actually, there are several models of 750GB-1TB SSDs. I have a 1TB SSD in mine. They definitely aren't as affordable as hard drives, but prices have fallen a lot in the last year. If I was buying today I would be choosing from the 1TB models from Samsung, Crucial, and OWC. All of those are frequently installed in MacBook Pros.

Samsung and OWC also offer a 2TB SSD, If you are fortunate to have $600 lying around...

I have not yet replaced the optical drive, but that's certainly an option. I don't need to right now since everything fits on the 1TB SSD.

• 6. Re: Anyone using mid 2012 MacBook pro with Indesign CC?
                    jkinsman Level 1

Oh wow I hadn't realized they were making 1TB SSD. Looked a couple of months ago and all I saw was 500-750GB SSD.

Are you running InDesign with the 1TB SSD and 8GB ram?

• 7. Re: Anyone using mid 2012 MacBook pro with Indesign CC?
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm running ID on a 2012 MacBook Air with 8GB and an i5 with an SSD.

It runs just fine. I still suspect part of your issue has to do with upgraded operating systems over and over again. I've only done clean installs and never even bothered with El Capitan.

• 8. Re: Anyone using mid 2012 MacBook pro with Indesign CC?

jkinsman wrote:

Are you running InDesign with the 1TB SSD and 8GB ram?

I'm running my 2011 MacBook Pro with a 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM. But performance was similarly comfortable on 8GB RAM; it was the SSD that made the most difference. I didn't necessarily need to upgrade it to 16GB RAM for InDesign, but I eventually did it for Photoshop and Lightroom because RAM for this model is cheap. With this configuration, I don't feel like I need a new laptop yet because everything runs smoothly on Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

I got my 1TB SSD in 2014, but they've gotten more widely available and less expensive since then.

The InDesign documents I work with are mostly pages of text with one to four screen shots on them, and I use InDesign always set to High Quality Display. I'm not sure if performance would be as comfortable if your pages use multiple high-resolution images and more effects.