3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 3:11 PM by Doug Winnie, ACP

Exporting files for developers

ellas17514674

Hello I have designed web application design using Adobe Experience Design. My question is how should developers use PNG files to turn them into code? For example if using Photoshop, you can convert PSD to HTML. How to do that with Adobe Experience design? How to use .PNG or .SVG format and turn them into a code. What would be a process for the developer?

Thank you,

• 1. Re: Exporting files for developers
          Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

It really depends on what kind of technology your developers are building on.  Are they building a website in HTML and CSS?  A native mobile app for iOS or Android?  A cross-platform mobile app using something like PhoneGap?

The process for building an app will vary a lot depending on the technology.  Even the format a developer will need the images to be in can vary -- PNG vs. SVG vs. other formats like PDF.

If you're interested in making the leap from design to developing apps yourself, I'd suggest first picking just a single technology platform to focus on (HTML+CSS is probably the easiest to get started with) and then searching for books or tutorials online.  If that's less your cup of tea, you may want to check out tools like Squarespace or Adobe Muse -- you can export images from Adobe XD and then arrange those assets into a customized website layout.

Hope that helps!

• 2. Re: Exporting files for developers
            ellas17514674 Level 1

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your reply. I would suppose they will be building using HTML and CSS also using JavaScript as an option (Meteor JS). So how would they be able to turn PNG image into code (eventually responsive website). I mean sizes, colors, fonts, images, etc.. How would they be able to do it?

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Exporting files for developers
              Doug Winnie, ACP Adobe Community Professional

I think the best thing to do is to sit down with them and find the best solution that works for you and for them. The technology that the developer uses can have a big impact on what materials you can provide them to complete the project. For instance, if you are using a component framework the way graphics are created and applied to components like buttons and UI controls varies greatly across formats.

So I would suggest setting up some time and walking through what you have and the ways that you can output your work and find something that works for both of you. There might be a few little tweaks that you can do that can make your developer partner's work a lot easier, making your project more successful.

DougW