- is this 13.8.1? if it's not, you should update your version to this release.
- try to delete your cache: edit->purge->all
- delete cache from the preferences->memory and disk cache (2 buttons)
- reset your preferences ctrl+alt+shift+right after clicking on the App to launch it
- if all fails, can you try and reproduce the problem and upload a project file? I have Win7 too.
Very latest version: 220.127.116.11. Purging didn't help, deleting prefs didn't help, thanks for the suggestions.
All I need do to recreate the problem is create a new project, create a comp, add a layer, put an expression on the layer—it can be anything, even something as simple as value * 2, then remove that expression by shift + alt + clicking the [=] sign checkbox. Often there's a slight pause then:
interesting. why shift BTW? you can press Alt and that's it. for me it works fine. do you have other versions of Ae that you could try the exact same thing and see if it's pauses too?
For some reason I have a muscle memory thing where I hold shift down when I remove expressions. And guess what - that was what was crashing it. If I alt-click the [=] checkbox it's fine, if I hold alt-shift and click it, it crashes. So solved, thanks.
Just out of interest: could you try shift-alt-clicking and see if it kills AE on your machine?
Thank goddess for small miracles . This is the first thing I tried. I love breaking Ae. It did not break so guess we will
never know. speaking of muscle memory I remember at least one time that I added an unnecessary key to a shorcut and it was Ctrl + clicking the timecode: Timecode and time display units in After Effects For some reason I would use Ctrl+Alt+click. One of my students tried without the Alt
and corrected me. this cancled my muscle memory