1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 7:23 PM by Roei Tzoref

Highest quality time lapse export from After Effects CC

Chozzy Level 1

Hi!

I'm looking for best options/settings for exporting high quality time lapse clips from After Effects for editing in Premiere, or a better work flow.

I have multiple time lapse sequences of 20,000+ shots that I've had to bring through AE rather than straight into Premiere because of ordered but non-sequential naming (that part has gone surprisingly smoothly but exports are proving troublesome - long times, some failing midway, and glitchy in Premiere or too low quality).

It's a pretty heavy project (many other time lapse clips straight into Premiere as well as various types of footage) so ideally I'd like to render out max usable quality clips of each of these big lapses at the front end so most of the painful renders are sorted early and so that I can work with a fairly unloaded system for all the editing in Premiere.

Anyone dealt with anything like this?

Options as I can see them:

Max quality render out of AE - codec/setting suggestions please!

Offline low-qual render out for editing and replace with full quality at end (very long render times anyway so seems like I may as well do high quality from the start)

Rename 120,000+ files (which our system really doesn't seem to like doing) for direct import to Premiere

All advice gratefully received!

- Using AE & PP CC 2015.3 on a Mac Pro 10.11.16 networked system

• 1. Re: Highest quality time lapse export from After Effects CC
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          Max quality render out of AE - codec/setting suggestions please!

if it's 8bit - QT Animation will render the fastest and play very smooth in Premiere. file size will be quite large but that should not be too much of a problem if you are working natively and don't need to move this footage around.  Jpeg2000 is another Option for 8bit and it does have a lower file size and it's quality at 100% is very good.I recently had very good experience with MagicYUV: super fast render time - actually was faster than Animation which blew me away and third of the file size and great quality and it's free.

if you need 10bit, I assume this is higher that HD so DNxHR is good. you should also try MagicYuv that is claimed to support 10-bit too.

Offline low-qual render out for editing and replace with full quality at end (very long render times anyway so seems like I may as well do high quality from the start)

when you import your HQ from Ae to Premiere, you can try using the new ingest feature to create your proxies in premiere and have a smoother playback.

Rename 120,000+ files (which our system really doesn't seem to like doing) for direct import to Premiere

if you do need something like this I recently heard about tools for that too - for Mac: https://manytricks.com/namemangler/