6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 8:51 AM by LPDisney

What does the new option in Brush Size do?

LPDisney

I just updated to 15.2.1 (Animate CC 2015.2 of course) and I noticed that there's a new option to select from the drop menu of the Brush Size in the tools bar

It looks like a gradiented circle with hole:

Brush Size.jpg

I have no idea what it does. I've tried to figure out and searched the web / help, nothing. If I use it, it draws the same as the other options. It looks unique so I really want to know what's this option.

Can someone tell me what it does?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: What does the new option in Brush Size do?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i don't see that answer but here's the info about the new brush features, Brush tool in Animate CC

• 2. Re: What does the new option in Brush Size do?
            Preran Adobe Employee

Did you try using it? What were your observations?

• 3. Re: What does the new option in Brush Size do?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

(i didn't see any difference between using that brush and the brush immediately above.)

• 4. Re: What does the new option in Brush Size do?
                Preran Adobe Employee

This is the answer I received from the team. Sharing it for future reference.

The new icon indicates that a brush size other than the eight preset sizes is being used. The other eight buttons in the drop down correspond to 8 sizes on the brush size slider which ranges from 1 – 200 in steps of 1. When the user selects any one of those eight preset sizes on the slider, the corresponding buttons (subtools) are selected. The ninth button (It looks like a gradiented circle with hole) indicates a non-preset size is selected.

For example, On Mac the first preset size corresponds to brush size 2. So if the user selects a size of 2 using the slider or the edit-text, the first icon in the drop down (with 9 icons) is displayed as current selected option. If the user selects a size of 1, then the ninth icon is displayed as current selected option. So for 8 pre-determined sizes, the 8 corresponding icons are shown as current selected option, and for the remaining 192 sizes, the ninth button is displayed. Clicking on the 8 presets changes the current size to specific sizes, but this does not work for the 9th preset. It is there only for an indication.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: What does the new option in Brush Size do?
                  just.emma Level 4

If you adjust the brush size under "Brush Shape" in the properties panel, you will get that icon instead of the default brush icons.  (It changes automatically when you customize the size.)

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 8.40.13 AM.png

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: What does the new option in Brush Size do?
                    LPDisney Level 1

Thank you very much! Yes, I see how this work now.

But I have to say it would be a nice feature if that the custom size is preserve during the session. Yes, I understand that I can create custom brushes and sizes, but sometimes you need a specific size for a specific task and you want to zig zig between brushes or something and you don't want to start creating tones of different brushes. Maybe I'll suggest this, first I'll play more with the new features.