• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-references entered using "Source Type: Paragraph" change to "Source Type: Cross-Reference Marker"

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can insert the cross-reference using Special - Cross-Reference and "Source Type: Paragraph" but then when I click on "insert," the Source Type changes to "Cross-Reference Markers"  which I don't want to use.  Why is it changing?  This happens randomly, and I haven't figured out any way to use only Paragraphs as the source type for cross-references.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that whether you use ST:Paragraph, or ST:Marker, the created data structures in the document are the same. You can confirm this by examining the MIF. The real difference between them is that By-Para creates a new Marker, and By-Marker requires a pre-existing Marker. Once created, FM has no idea which method was used.

So this would seem to be a problem with the Xref pod. Anyone who can help with that is going to want to know what FM version and patch level you're on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version, patch and a screen shot of the X-ref dialog box as you are ready to click  Insert would be ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think I figured out my issue.  My document was started by using an older version that had been previously used in a book, and the heading already had a marker for a table of contents.  I recreated a new heading, without the marker, and then when I inserted the cross-reference, it stayed as a "Paragraph" and did not revert to the "Cross-reference marker." 

Thanks - the "pre-existing" marker was my clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines