4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2016 5:01 AM by JoeKostoss

LR to PS troubles!!

Lews Photos

Suddenly when I choose to edit a photo from LR in PS, the edit options box is no longer showing up.  The photo will  just automatically open in PS, and any changes I make in PS are made but when I save the file, it does not go back into LR since it never asked me if I wanted to edit a copy, etc.  The PS Tiff does show up in my files, but not in my LR.  I then looked to see if I needed to update, which it did, but still nothing has changed.  This has just happened.  Everything was working fine yesterday.  I also noticed when I choose to delete a photo from the LR collection, it isn't asking me if I want to delete from hard drive or just from collection, as it used to ask.  Maybe this has something to do with the other problem????  Please help!!!! Hopefully this makes sense!

• 1. Re: LR to PS troubles!!
          JoeKostoss Level 4

Lews Photos wrote:

...when I choose to delete a photo from the LR collection, it isn't asking me if I want to delete from hard drive or just from collection, as it used to ask....

When you delete a photo from a collection, Lightroom will only remove the photo from that collection.  This is normal.  If you want to delete from the hard drive, you need to go to the folder where the photo is stored, not the collection; only then will Lightroom ask if you want to delete from the hard drive.

Suddenly when I choose to edit a photo from LR in PS, the edit options box is no longer showing up. The photo will just automatically open in PS...

If you are sending a Raw file to PS, Lightroom will not give those options.  This is also normal. 

Lews Photos wrote:

...changes I make in PS are made but when I save the file, it does not go back into LR since it never asked me if I wanted to edit a copy, etc. The PS Tiff does show up in my files, but not in my LR...

The edited image may not be in the collection but check to see if it is in the same folder as the raw image? It may be at the end of all the photos in that folder if you do not have the option checked to stack the edited photo with the original in Preferences.

• 2. Re: LR to PS troubles!!
            Lews Photos Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.  As for part 1, I do understand about the deleting from collection vs hard drive but usually when I click delete, the box will show up that asks if I want to delete from the collection or permanently.  I can't remember the exact words.  Anyhow, that box is not showing up anymore which I thought was strange but not really important.  Just wondering if it had anything to do with my bigger problem.

I have my preferences all set up in the default way it came with.  The image used to return from PS to lightroom and be in the filmstrip next to my original.  Now it no longer shows up anywhere in the filmstrip AT ALL.  So I can't do any further edits on it.  It worked perfectly just yesterday.  I am so stumped.

• 3. Re: LR to PS troubles!!
              Lews Photos Level 1

Never mind.  I just deleted the photos and then reinstalled them and made a new catalog.  It all seems to be working fine now.  Completely stumped what happened.  Thanks

• 4. Re: LR to PS troubles!!
                JoeKostoss Level 4

Is this is the message?

Screenshot 2016-08-24 07.39.37.png

It will pop up whenever you flag a photo with X (Reject).  If you then go to Photo>Delete Rejected Photos, this message will appear.

To have the TIFF/PSD edited photo show up next to the original, in the Preferences under the External Editing tab, be sure that the Box "Stack With Original" is checked.  Most likely you had it unchecked.

Screenshot 2016-08-24 07.48.11.png

For future reference, you would be well advised to not delete photos and reimport and especially do not create a new catalog just to solve such problems.  This approach can create a whole set of other problems, not the least of which is that you will lose all your previous editing.  It is best to first try to resolve the problem at hand,  In your previous catalog, I suspect that the TIFF/PSD photo did show up in the catalog, maybe not in the Collection filmstrip, but certainly in the Folder filmstrip for that particular folder in which the original Raw file was located.