8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2016 7:07 AM by Mr Seaniepie

After effect & Encoder: OpenCL vs. Metal

reaooo

Hey there, so I just installed the latest 2015.3 update. My question though is which one of the Mercury Playback Engines is better to use on MacOS, OpenCL or Metal? I saw the option and was wondering if Metal has better performance and faster export times? Can anyone fill me in on this?

• 1. Re: After effect & Encoder: OpenCL vs. Metal
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not all features are fully implemented. You will have to run some tests. I have not gone that far yet but Metal is just starting to be implemented and the acceleration will not be available on all effects or processes yet. It will take a while.

• 2. Re: After effect & Encoder: OpenCL vs. Metal
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In general, OpenCL works better than Metal on the three effects that currently use the GPU to accelerate them (Sharpen, Lumetri [great new tool, by the way], and the new Gaussian Blur.) The AE team has said they are still working on development for Metal.

• 3. Re: After effect & Encoder: OpenCL vs. Metal
              reaooo Level 1

Yes, OpenCL works better than Metal

• 4. Re: After effect & Encoder: OpenCL vs. Metal
                regsquires Level 1

I have to say I am getting absolutely chronic render times with Lumetri in After effects. It's useless. Taking a single Pro Res clip and applying correction to it is excruciating to the point that I think I have some wrong settings. I am using After Effects 2015.3 on a Mac pro running the latest version of El Capitan 10.11.6 I have Dual AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB which you would assume would eat this for breakfast. It doesn't. In Premiere there is an option to change to Open CL rather than metal and I instantly noticed a difference. I can't see this pref in AE though, which leads me to think these GPU accelerated effects are using metal which is not fully road tested.

• 5. Re: After effect & Encoder: OpenCL vs. Metal
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are your system specs. Lumetri requires supported GPU's to work with any kind of speed. Intel Graphics built into some laptops and compact computers = slow, supported graphics cards = fast.

• 6. Re: After effect & Encoder: OpenCL vs. Metal
                    regsquires Level 1

I have a Mac Pro with Dual AMD Graphics cards FirePro D700 6144 Mb I am pretty sure this is supported. In Premiere it works as well as expected not NVidia speed but OK. After Effects not so good although I think if you use other GPU hogging apps then it makes it worse.

• 7. Re: After effect & Encoder: OpenCL vs. Metal
                      JMIAHONLINE Level 1

I've noticed Mercury OpenCL worked better than "software only" or Mercury Metal. Metal was ok, but the OpenCL seemed to be faster in rendering and previews... that's me running AE 2017 on a 2015 iMac 27" 5k Retina with AMD Radeon R295x 4gb VRAM, 32gb RAM, 4.0GHz quad core, 3TB fusion hdd. I was having problems with the AE15.3 update bcuz it wouldnt even use my GPU for ray-tracing rendering, it was still greyed out even though I had the updated Cuda drivers installed... but oh well?! It's working fast again, so Im happy! lol

• 8. Re: After effect & Encoder: OpenCL vs. Metal
                        Mr Seaniepie Level 1

I've just been doing some tests. Create a Solid on an HD screen. Cmd-Shft-Y the solid and adjust the hue of the colour. The live preview is faster on OpenCL. Metal caused a reproducible crash consistently. This on v14.0.1.5 with Cuda 8.0.53 on a 15" Retina MBP. OpenCL not a problem. So happy full rate Previews working again. AECC2017 seems pretty stable now.