2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2016 2:52 PM by tiffanyl

Blink Problems

tiffanyl

Hi there!

So, I'm creating a character from scratch and I'm using a raster image for the head w/ vector illustrations for the body. I've put everything together in Illustrator and followed the outline from the "My Illustrator Puppet" file then imported it. In order to get the eyes to work in conjunction with the head photo, I cut out the eyes and placed the eyes behind the head. This created the situation where I've had to put my Blink on top of face background, rather than eye an +Eye group, and this is where the problem starts.

I can get the blink to work, and the eyes work just fine, but when the blink comes on, only the left blink shows up and the rest of the face disappears......

Here are some reference images:

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 3.50.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-24 at 3.51.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-24 at 3.51.59 PM.png

Does anyone have any insight as to how I can use this character style and also keep the face from disappearing when blinking?

• 1. Re: Blink Problems
          oksamurai Employee Moderator

Fun character! Yeah, blink is a weird case, and interestingly enough, we were just talking about this yesterday in a meeting. Basically blink automatically hides siblings (others at the same group level as it). So, because blink is where it is right now, a blink hides everything else in its group - meaning pretty much everything else in the head.

I think if you put the blink inside a dummy folder, it should work as you want. Something like this seemed to work for me:

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 2.20.50 PM.png

Someone yesterday was having the similar confusion over visibility, so we have some work to do on our end to make it clearer what's happening in the UI. Hope that helps!

• 2. Re: Blink Problems
            tiffanyl

Yup, that fixed it!

Haha, I'm pretty good at breaking things in AE and it seems like it followed me to Character Animator XD I'm glad it was a quick fix though! The fact that Animator updates the layers and layer order from AI makes fixing rigging problems much more straightforward. A very nice feature for people new to the program (and character animation) ^^b 

Thanks for the reply!