8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2016 11:29 AM by ecomfort

Weird InDesign problem

ecomfort Level 1

Hey there.

I'm using InDesign CC (with everything up-to-date) with Windows 10, and I'm having quite a strange issue. Basically anything I do (click and drag an object or text box, click on a new text box, resize something, place something on the page, etc) cannot be seen until I move my cursor down to my Windows taskbar. So I will, for instance, click and drag an image to a new location on the page, but it doesn't actually DO anything on the screen until I roll my cursor over the taskbar, and then BAM it's in the place I moved it to. This is horrible because I can't actually SEE what I'm doing while I'm doing it.

I do NOT have this problem in any other Adobe program-- I mostly use Photoshop and Illustrator and they are totally fine. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign but that did nothing, also it is up to date and all that. I tried to look this up, but it's sort of hard to google and I haven't found anything similar so far.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

EC

• 1. Re: Weird InDesign problem
          kstohlmeyer1 Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like your display settings are incorrect.

Go to Edit/Preferences/Interface and change your settings for Live Screen Drawing to Immediate and uncheck "Greek Vector Graphics on Drag".

Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 12.54.06 PM.png

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Weird InDesign problem
            ecomfort Level 1

Ok I just tried that out. My Live Screen Drawing was indeed set to "delayed" (and greek was unchecked already) but it didn't fix the problem to change that. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

EC

• 3. Re: Weird InDesign problem
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Are you sure you’re fully up to date? Latest build is CC2015 11.4.1.102

Does restarting InDesign help? Have you tried trashing your preferences.

This doesn’t sound like a live redraw issue.

• 4. Re: Weird InDesign problem
                ecomfort Level 1

Yeah I did all the updates today before posting, just in case that was the issue.

Restarting doesn't help, and my preferences shouldn't be a problem because I reinstalled InDesign in case that was the problem, and also I very rarely use it in the first place, so I never change anything in preferences to begin with.

My Wacom tablet seems to be the issue, because when I unplug it and change to just using a regular mouse, it works. But my Wacom driver is up to date and also the tablet works with EVERY other Adobe program I use on a regular basis (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, and After Effects)

Thanks!

EC

• 5. Re: Weird InDesign problem
                  Derek Cross Level 6

It's definitely worth trashing your InDesign preferences:

Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. you must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow).

You may have to do it a couple of times before you get the hang of it!

• 6. Re: Weird InDesign problem
                    ecomfort Level 1

Ok I got the dialog and dumped my prefs, but to no avail.

I appreciate the help! I will keep digging around. I feel like it's got to be some Wacom or Windows thing. I feel like I've had a lot of problems with my tablet lately.

EC

• 7. Re: Weird InDesign problem
                      BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You would not be the first to report problems with Wacom drivers and InDesign.

• 8. Re: Weird InDesign problem
                        ecomfort Level 1

Got it!

It was the "Winows Ink" setting in the Wacom tablet properties. Kind of sucks though, because I need that option to be turned on for some issues in Photoshop. But at least now I know how to fix this issue for InDesign. Wacom needs to get their crap together with their drivers-- I feel like I'm constantly having to find goofy workarounds for my tablet.

Here's another post on a different issue, but it's what worked for me.

InDesign CC Wacom tablet lag

Thanks everyone for all the help!

EC