4 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2006 3:49 PM by gemmytots

Help moving 3D character

gemmytots
      Hiya,

I am building a simple game using SDS MAX 7, then exporting this into director using .W3D. I have followed tutorials however my charcter will not move. The name is the same in Director and Max but i am having no luck. would any one be able to advise?

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Help moving 3D character
          ensamblador Level 1
          replace the line where you assign the model with this:

resw=p3Dmember.newmodelresource("charcater",#sphere)
          pCharacter = p3Dmember.newmodel("character",resw)

and you will see where the error is.
          • 2. Re: Help moving 3D character
            Level 7
            Hi,

I assume you're using the tutorial at:
            http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/3D/environment/CharacterMove.asp
            If not, let me know as it means there is a very similar one to mine out there

Are you getting any error messages popping up when you run your movie? The 3D max
            file I used in the tutorial had the character components all grouped together and
            named 'character'. What often is done (and is used in the collision tutorial) is
            that you create a simpler model like a sphere to encapsulate the character. You
            create a parent child relationship with this spehere and then you can move the
            sphere and the character will move.

Hope that helps.

regards
            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
            http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 3. Re: Help moving 3D character
              gemmytots Level 1
              Thanks yes I am using your tutorials - thank you! I have actually posted another message. We started all over again after I had posted this message. I am creating this for a final year university assignment within a group.

I am currently finding problems with director literally crashing when I run the code posted in my other message. The movement is fine, then when I add any collision detection I have the crashing issue

If you could shed light I would greatly appreciate it.
              • 4. Re: Help moving 3D character
                gemmytots Level 1
                Thanks yes I am using your tutorials - thank you! I have actually posted another message. We started all over again after I had posted this message. I am creating this for a final year university assignment within a group.

I am currently finding problems with director literally crashing when I run the code posted in my other message. The movement is fine, then when I add any collision detection I have the crashing issue

If you could shed light I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards,
                Gemma