20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 2:56 AM by Abambo

DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?

willy de Souza

Guys i need a help with this, My work have a lot of photos. a lot of time a need to make a little adjustments in the Ps and when i back the image to Lr the DNG that have just 25 mb turns in a TIF or PSD with 100 mb without layers. Im never back to reedit the photos in photoshop so i just need a JPEG with quality and i dont know how to back the images to lightroom in JPEG. How can i make this convertion to back the image to Lr in JPEG without i need to import the JPEG? If someone knows how to back a TIF or PSD small can save my money in HDs too.

'
        • 1. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

One suggestion-

Add Photoshop as an "Additional External Editor" in the preferences/External Editors.

Set the File format to JPG.

Use this 'second' copy of Photoshop when you want a JPG file returned to LR.

Now you will have a choice- the default PS will be TIFF or PSD, the 'Additional' PS will be JPG.

ScreenShot155.jpg

• 2. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
            willy de Souza Level 1

I love it! But How can i put 16 bits JPEG? I cant lose colors in my works =S

• 3. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
              JoeKostoss Level 4

You can't!  JPEG by definition is 8 bit.  If you want 16 Bit, stick with PSD or TIFF.  Use JPEG only during Export for specific purposes such as uploading to the Internet or printing at an outside print lab.

• 4. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
                Abambo Level 4

JPEG does 16bits, but it may be that LR does not support this.

• 5. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

willy de Souza wrote:

I love it! But How can i put 16 bits JPEG? I cant lose colors in my works =S

The bit depth has no effect on the color gamut, which is determined by the color space setting. If your LR editing is completed (Basic panel settings, etc.), and you don't intend on making further edits to the PS file, there should be no issue on saving the file to JPEG format.

However, I would suggest using External Editor preferences of TIFF, 16 bit, ProPhoto RGB. Using the higher bit depth and larger color gamut insures your edits in PS will not be compromised. If you don't intend on making further edits to the file it's perfectly OK to save the file in PS to JPEG format. Depending on the JPEG file usage you will want to first convert the file in PS to sRGB for Web and screen viewing, or to Adobe RGB for printing purposes. A PS Quality setting of 10 will work fine since the file is not be edited further. You will need to right-click on the containing folder inside LR and select 'Synchronize Folder' for for the JPEG file to appear. The whole process is much simpler than it sounds.

• 6. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?

Feierwoon wrote:

The file format you mention is JPEG 2000, which unfortunately is not supported by LR. It is supported by Adobe Bridge and PS.if that option works for you.

JPEG 2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 7. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
                      JoeKostoss Level 4

Also:  ...support for reading these photos (JPEG 2000) is still fairly limited in feature mobile phones as well as smartphones and tablet PCs running various operating systems

• 8. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
                        thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Feierwoon wrote:

No Adobe software does.

• 9. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?

trshaner wrote:

However, I would suggest using External Editor preferences of TIFF, 16 bit, ProPhoto RGB.

As does Adobe!

LRrefs.jpg

And for very good reason. The processing color space used in LR/ACR is ProPhoto RGB primaries and thus it's color gamut.

• 10. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
                            Abambo Level 4

Yes, my wrong! At the time it was not possible to save a 16bits image as JPEG. Now it does and converts silently (or did I switch off the warning) to 8 bits.

• 11. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?

Feierwoon wrote:

Yes, my wrong! At the time it was not possible to save a 16bits image as JPEG. Now it does and converts silently (or did I switch off the warning) to 8 bits.

I've never seen a warning in PS or LR when outputting to JPEG from a 16 bit file. You can save to 16 bit JPEG 2000 file format (.jpf) in PS by choosing it in the 'Save as type' selector:

• 12. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
                                Abambo Level 4

Photoshop, at the time and out of my memory, did not allow saving 16bit files, when 16 bits where not supported by the program.

• 13. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?

Feierwoon wrote:

Photoshop, at the time and out of my memory, did not allow saving 16bit files, when 16 bits where not supported by the program.

FWIW, the high-bit representation in Photoshop has always been "15   1" bits (32767 (which is the total number of values that can be represented by 15 bits of precision)   1).  This requires 16 bits of data to represent is called "16 bit".  PS is displaying an exact representation of the exact data Photoshop is using, just as 0-255 is displayed for 8 bit files.

• 14. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
                                    Abambo Level 4

Sorry, I meant "supported by the file format" !

What do you mean with "15 1" bits?

16 bits can represent 2^16 distinct values (0-65535). What you are talking about is a signed representation where the msb is used as sign indicator, so that you can represent -32,768 (-1 × 215) through 32,767 (215 - 1).

• 15. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
                                      Abambo Level 4

No Adobe software does.

File formats in Adobe Photoshop

OK, I found this one:

Formats for 16-bit images (requires Save As command)

Photoshop, Large Document Format (PSB), Cineon, DICOM, IFF, JPEG, JPEG 2000, Photoshop PDF, Photoshop Raw, PNG, Portable Bit Map, and TIFF.

• 17. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?

Feierwoon wrote:

What do you mean with "15 1" bits?

16 bits can represent 2^16 distinct values (0-65535). What you are talking about is a signed representation where the msb is used as sign indicator, so that you can represent -32,768 (-1 × 215) through 32,767 (215 - 1).

From the PatchTool software manual in addition to the data above:

Behind the scene: “15 bit+” RGB

If you ever used Adobe Photoshop with 16 bit RGB images, you know that the RGB values shown in the program Info
                                        window are in fact 15 bit values. However, since the 15 bit integers are derived from 16 bit integers, rounding is required
                                        for odd values. This rounding, always to the next integer, introduces a small difference compared to values which would
                                        have been converted to 15 bit using all the available precision (of XYZ or L*a*b*). 

For example, let’s see how 65535 is represented in Photoshop. This number is the maximum decimal value represented by
                                        a 16 bit number, and assigning it to R, G, and B corresponds to pure white. When this number is processed in Photoshop,
                                        it is divided by two, i.e. = 32767,5, and rounded to 32768, the next integer. If the file was in “pure” 15 bit format, this
                                        value would be impossible, since the maximum value represented by a 15 bit number is 32767. Computing the value
                                        directly in 15 bit, starting with the same high precision data, would have given us the correct maximum value of 32767;
                                        however, there is no common file format using 15 bit RGB encoding.

Overall, when you start with a high precision (non-integer) XYZ decimal number, and you first convert it to 16 bit RGB
                                        integers, and then convert it to a 15 bit value as per the procedure described in the preceding paragraph, you see that the
                                        resulting number is either equal to the one that would have been obtained with a file directly encoded in 15 bit, or plus
                                        one, thus the “+” sign we add to “15 bit”.

In practice, the difference between the exact 15 bit value and the one shown in Photoshop is not discernable. However, in
                                        order to “match” the values shown in Photoshop, the 15 bit+ values shown in PatchTool emulate the Photoshop
                                        conversion.

You will see that 15 bit+ is also offered as an encoding option when exporting data in PatchTool. This was done, again, to
                                        match the displayed Photoshop “16 bit” values. However, you should know that when such data is imported back in
                                        PatchTool, it is impossible to know which values have been “rounded up” and which ones should not have been rounded
                                        (except for 32768!). This explains why the “15 bit” encoding option shown in the “Missing Info” window has no “+”.

If you are concerned of loosing precision, you can export RGB data in either 8 bit or scaled to 100%; for these two

encodings, the data is not rounded to integers but exported with decimal precision.

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 18. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?

Feierwoon wrote:

File formats in Adobe Photoshop

OK, I found this one:

Formats for 16-bit images (requires Save As command)

Photoshop, Large Document Format (PSB), Cineon, DICOM, IFF, JPEG, JPEG 2000, Photoshop PDF, Photoshop Raw, PNG, Portable Bit Map, and TIFF.

Prior to PS CS5 JPEG file format was not available in the 'Save as type' selector. In those earlier PS versions you had to use File> Save for Web or first select Image> Mode 8 bits/channel to convert the 16 or 32 bit/channel image file to 8 bit/channel. The resultant saved JPEG file is 8 bit/channel since JPEG file format doesn't and never has supported 16 bit/channel.

• 19. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
                                            Abambo Level 4

thedigitaldog wrote:

If you ever used Adobe Photoshop with 16 bit RGB images, you know that the RGB values shown in the program Info
                                            window are in fact 15 bit values

Interesting facts. There are a bunch of reasons, I can imagine, why Adobe would do that. But Adobe saves back (at least for the TIFF format) a true 16bits file. I wasn't aware of this and to be honest, the precision difference of a 15 bits versus 16 bits image is at the end of the day indiscernible. But it's an interesting fact.

BTW: I still try to figure out the use of the PatchTool software.

• 20. Re: DNG Lr > Ps > Back JPEG Lr How?
                                              Abambo Level 4

Yes, that's what my memory had stored. It's however dangerous to offer 16bits JPEG save and not telling the people that it will be downgraded to an 8bits file (not that I consider JPEG a work file, I consider JPEG a final file format).