6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2016 7:20 AM by Roei Tzoref

After Effects 2015.3 13.8.0 Render Crash on Windows

Brez

Hi,

2015.3 crashes on Windows 10 mid render. Reverted to 2015.1 to see if that would solve but still crashes.

Tried various different projects in case it was an issues within my project file - and happens with all.

Does anyone know what the issue could be?

Couple of times it has went to blue screen and restarted the system.

System Specs:

Windows 10 Home

Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.4GHz 4 cores

RAM 32GB

2x nVidia 980Ti (with latest driver 372.54)

Any advice would be appreciated.

B

• 1. Re: After Effects 2015.3 13.8.0 Render Crash on Windows
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First of all, you should be running the latest update to whatever version you have.

That means 13.7.1 for CC 2015 and 13.8.1 for CC 2015.3. From your post, it seems like you're running neither of these.

Secondly, we do not know enough to begin to guess what is causing the crash.

What are your render settings? (Screenshots would help.)

What is contained in your comp?

Does it crash at the same spot every time?

Are there error messages or a crash log you could share?

Are you using the classic or ray-traced renderer?

What plugins are you using?

Etc.

• 2. Re: After Effects 2015.3 13.8.0 Render Crash on Windows
            Brez Level 1

Hi,

Did a re-install of After Effects (removing preferences). Now running 13.8.1.

All projects still crash mid-render and during preview. Tried various output types (quicktime, avi ,png seq etc)

CrashLog:

------

Adobe After Effects v13.8.1 Windows 64 render log for project “Brand_Film_High_End.aep”

Rendering started on 03/10/2016 at 12:19:56

03/10/2016 12:19:56: Starting composition “Brand_Film_High_End”.

Output To: D:\Documents\BRAND_FILM_HIGH_END\movies\Brand_Film_High_End.mov

After Effects error: Crash in progress. Last logged message was: <9440> <UnbufferedWriter::OpenExisting()> <1> blocksize 20971520

After Effects error: Crash in progress. Last logged message was: <9440> <UnbufferedWriter::OpenExisting()> <1> blocksize 20971520

After Effects can’t continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. For After Effects Help and Support, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_support. If you still can’t resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2). (0  ::  42)

After Effects can’t continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. For After Effects Help and Support, go to http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_support. If you still can’t resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2). (0  ::  42)

Before quitting, you have one chance to save your project (don’t use the same name as the original).

-----

System:

Windows 10 (Version 1607) 64bit

2x 980Ti nVidia GPUs with latest drivers

Intel i7-600 3.40Ghz

32GB RAM

3rd party plugins in-use / project set-up:

Lenscare Frischluft

Magic Bullet looks

Video Co-pilot Optical flares

Its png / exr sequences with adjustment layers and compositing. No 3D or raytracing.

Any advice on what could be causing the problem or way to resolve?

B

• 3. Re: After Effects 2015.3 13.8.0 Render Crash on Windows
              Brez Level 1

NB. just tested.

The same project renders fine on Mac with the same software set-up.

Also renders ok on Windows with After Effects 2014.

Seems to be a problem with 13.8.1 on Windows?

• 4. Re: After Effects 2015.3 13.8.0 Render Crash on Windows
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

You should isolate your problem from different variables. Try a different comp with just a few layers, try with no effects in your current project and add one by one, try different parts of the project as Szalam suggested an so on... this will give us a better idea what exactly is wrong. It's worth trying to reset your preferences too.

• 5. Re: After Effects 2015.3 13.8.0 Render Crash on Windows
                  Brez Level 1

Hi Roei,

I've tried renders without plugins and effects, I've reset preferences. I've tried other project files.

The same project renders on a Mac with same plugins and settings - so leads me to believe it's a windows / AE compatibility bug or something to do with video encoders / Quicktime on windows for example?

I'm limited time-wise to take an exhaustive approach - layer by layer. so anyone who has experienced this issue recently on Windows 10 who can point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

B

• 6. Re: After Effects 2015.3 13.8.0 Render Crash on Windows
                    Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

You have uninstalled, reset your preferences, tried different projects and codecs - still the renders fail each time and you have limited time to try detailed analysis of what's exactly happening and when - I would contact support and have them check your system via remote desktop.