13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 8:40 AM by Steve Grisetti

Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly

richardc40064500 Level 1

Using Premiere Elements 14 on a PC running windows 10.

I am producing a 30 minute movie and when I try to preview the movie the playback stops after a few seconds, could be 1 second or if I'm lucky 10 seconds of preview before it stops. I have turned off hardware acceleration and tried rendering the timeline but othing helps. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What processor do you have and with how much RAM?

What model of camcorder is your original video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you've added this video as the first clip on your timeline, do you see a yellow orange "render" line above it, along the top of the timeline? This indicates that your project has not properly set up to match your video specs.

RenderLine.jpg

• 2. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly
            richardc40064500 Level 1

Thanks for the response.

The video is from a GoPro Hero 4 (MP4 files), not sure of the resolution.

My processor is an Intel Core i7-6500 with 12GB RAM.

Yes the Render line is orange, if I render the workspace it goes green but playback is not so smooth and does not resolve the problem.

• 3. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly

If you are seeing the render line when the first clip is added to your timeline, then your project is not setting up to match the video specs, which is why you're seeing performance issues. Which you really should not with your hardware specs.

But before I show you how to fix this problem, you'll need to crack open a sample of your video and see what it's made of.

Download the free program Media Info and open a sample of your GoPro footage in it. It should tell you the video's resolution, frame rate and codecs. If you can't make sense of the report, you can post it here.

• 4. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly
                richardc40064500 Level 1

The "Video" section of the report looks like this.

Video

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : High@L4.1

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames                : 1 frame

Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=13

Codec ID                                 : avc1

Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding

Duration                                 : 42 s 600 ms

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 30.0 Mb/s

Width                                    : 1 920 pixels

Height                                   : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate mode                          : Constant

Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.579

Stream size                              : 152 MiB (100%)

Title                                    : GoPro AVC

Language                                 : English

Encoded date                             : UTC 2016-04-24 09:20:53

Tagged date                              : UTC 2016-04-24 09:20:53

Color range                              : Full

Color primaries                          : BT.709

Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709

Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

• 5. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly

These video specs should cause no problems.

If you look under the Edit menu in Premiere Elements, what are listed as your Project Settings?

• 6. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly
                    richardc40064500 Level 1

I have...

Editing Mode DSLR (greyed out)

Timebase 25.00 frames/second (grey)

Frame size: 1920 horizontal 1080 vertical

Pixel Aspect Ratio Square pixels (1.0) (grey)

Fields: No Fields (Grey)

Display format: 25fps Timecode

Title safe area 20 % 20%

Action safe area 10% 10%

• 7. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly

That looks like a match to me!

As an experiment, start a new project and place a clip from that camcorder on Video 1 on the timeline. Can you confirm you're seeing a yellow-orange "render" line above the clip?

• 8. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly
                        richardc40064500 Level 1

Im not getting an orange line but I have added 2 clips to the experimental project totalling 53 seconds and I'm already getting the problem where the playback stops randomly.

• 9. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly

Something is very wrong, Richard. Your computer should be able to run this video without even working up a sweat.

There must be something in your configuration that just not obvious. Something that's bogging things down and that's unrelated to Premiere Elements. Unfortunately, without having your computer right here in front of me, it's hard to say what it is. (Although an uninstall/reinstall of the program wouldn't hurt. You won't lose any work doing so.)

Is your computer something other than an off-the-shelf,brand name i7 desktop?

• 10. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly
                            terrys30580497 Level 3

Go Pro footage creates problems in other editing programs as well.

I would try using a video converter like Handbrake to convert the video to another format. It's not the most convenient way forward but it   "May" resolve the conflict.

Go Pro also offers it's own editing software for free but it's not nearly as versatile as Elements.http://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp/gopro-app-%7C-desktop/GoPro-Desktop-App.html

Regards,Terry

• 11. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly

Terry's suggestion might be worth exploring.

Although you should be able to edit this GoPro footage natively in Premiere Elements -- and in fact if Richard is seeing no yellow-orange render line above the first clip on his timeline, then he is working with an optimized project file.

So the performance issue is no doubt related to something else going on on his computer.

• 12. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly
                                richardc40064500 Level 1

Interestingly, I have found an HP support process that was eating up CPU in background, I have removed it and now the performance is better with files loading quicker etc but the underlying problem is still evident. Also if I double click on a video clip in the Project Assets library it starts to play in a small window, but even these wont play all the way through without stopping.

Its as if the application is receiving a signal that interrupts the playback as if the space bar has been pressed.

• 13. Re: Preview Playback keeps stopping randomly

You may want to download a couple of free programs and run them.

PC Decrapifier will get rid of bloatware that may be wasting resources.

Malware Bytes will do a pretty thorough cleaning of any possible malware.

Also, do make sure that you've gone to the HP web site and downloaded all of the latest drivers for your machine. (Don't trust Windows to do it.)

And, if you're running an antivirus program other than Windows Defender (especially if it's a Norton product!), try turning it off -- and do make sure you aren't running more than one antivirus program, which can actually be counter-productive.

Something is definitely wrong somewhere, richard. As I said, your i7-6500 should run this program without even working up a sweat. My i7-4770 certainly does on Windows 10.