3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2016 2:34 PM by CoSA_DaveS

Keyboard trigger  structuring questions

boby11433731

Is there a limit to the number of  triggers that you can use?

I have 10 sets of hands for each arm. I  want 6 arm positions each side. Can you subsets of hands for each arm positions?  Example: left arm raised straight out to side, have 4 hands thumbs up, thumbs down and so on.... I have trigger A for thearm, and then triggers u=thumb up and d•=down. I  could have 6 arm positions with 4 To 8 hands per arm. Is this. Possible? How would it need to be done?

Can triggers be upper and lower case?

thanks for helping

BY

• 1. Re: Keyboard trigger  structuring questions
          oksamurai Employee Moderator

Triggers are currently alphanumeric - A-Z and 0-9. Case doesn't matter.

Yes, if I understand what you're trying to do correctly, you can reuse triggers. So for example, let's you have Arm 1, 2, and 3 at the same level with hide siblings on, and only one shows up at a time. Then inside each you keep U for thumbs up and D for thumbs down, regardless of what arm is being triggered.

So for 6 arms (3 on each side) each with 6 hands, you could set it up like:

• Left Arm
            • Left Arm 1
              • Hands A, B, C, D, E, F
            • Left Arm 2
              • Hands A, B, C, D, E, F
            • Left Arm 3
              • Hands A, B, C, D, E, F
          • Right Arm
            • Right Arm 4
              • Hands G, H, I, J, K, L
            • Right Arm 5
              • Hands G, H, I, J, K, L
            • Right Arm 6
              • Hands G, H, I, J, K, L
          • 2. Re: Keyboard trigger  structuring questions
            boby11433731 Level 1

Need follow up:

This set up is in Ch or Illustrator?

What do the little circles and little squares represent?

In Illustrator would this be correct:

+ Left arm (normal position)

+Left Arm 1 (raised straight up, out to side)

Hands A-F

All hands are set in Left Arm/Hands in Illustrator. But in the custom set up only show after Left Arm 1/A.

Would both triggers pushed at same time or one after the other?

Can one trigger produce a second trigger automatically?

Would the Left Arm 1-2-3 positions be set in Ch?

Thank you Again

For an old man this digital crap is very hard.

BY

• 3. Re: Keyboard trigger  structuring questions
              CoSA_DaveS Adobe Employee

> This set up is in Ch or Illustrator?

Could be either. The folder structure is best to set up in Illustrator, and you can assign the keys there or in Ch once imported. If you name a group or layer in Illustrator like "Left Arm (7)" it will assign 7 as the key trigger. Alternatively, you can do this by selecting the layer in Ch in the puppet channel, and then typing "7" into the Trigger Key shown in the properties panel. The advantage of that is you have access to the Latch option there, and also the Hide Siblings option (which can be set using an exclamation point like this: "Left Arm (7!)", but that's arcane so we're recommending using the Ch UI instead).

> What do the little circles and little squares represent?

Nothing, that's just the text outliner on the forums here.

> In Illustrator would this be correct:

>     + Left arm (normal position)

>          +Left Arm 1 (raised straight up, out to side)

>               Hands A-F

No, you want all the varying arms to be groups at the same level (above you show "normal" as a parent of "raised").

To avoid having to hit a number to see the "normal" arms, you may want to _not_ assign a key trigger to the "normal" group. When you assign a trigger, Ch hides that layer until triggered. Also make sure that you enable Hide Siblings checkbox when setting the arm trigger, so you only see one position at once.

> All hands are set in Left Arm/Hands in Illustrator. But in the custom set up only show after Left Arm 1/A.

Sorry, I'm not following.

> Would both triggers pushed at same time or one after the other?

You can push triggers at the same time (e.g. maybe "2" to show that arm, and "B" to show that hand). If you don't want to have to hold the key down, check the Latch option when assigning the key in Ch.

> Can one trigger produce a second trigger automatically?

No, but that works to your advantage here -- it allows you to use the same set of, say, hand triggers with different arms, and when you choose a given hand trigger it doesn't trigger all of the arms at the same time.

> Would the Left Arm 1-2-3 positions be set in Ch?

Not sure what you're asking there, but if you mean AI naming vs. Ch properties panel as mentioned above, then: yes.