5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 6:03 AM by Peter Spier

Getting back workspace without reseting it?

drew345 Level 1

If I close a workspace can I get it back without having to reset it?

By workspace I mean the group of panels that comes up on the right side.

I make modifications to it by adding panels that I like. But then if I close it, I can't find any way to get it back. I saved the workspace, and when I go to "Window ; workspace " the name of my workspace is still there. Even there is still a check box by it (but the workspace is still gone) . I select another workspace and select my workspace again, still won't appear. The only way I found to get it back is to go down to "window ; reset workspace" . Now it comes back but all my saved panels are gone.

After closing my workspace, any way to get it back without resetting it?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Getting back workspace without reseting it?
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

First try:Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

Then adjust the panels that you want to be in your workspace and go to window>workspace>new workspace

• 2. Re: Getting back workspace without reseting it?
            BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

My suggestion is to set up your workspace just the way you like it. Once you are satisfied, save the workspace (Window > Workspace > New Workspace) using a short, descriptive name: could be your name, or a job name, or whatever makes sense. Custom workspaces appear at the top of the list.

InDesign CCss_017.png

When you realize later that the workspace wasn't quite right, adjust the panel display and use the New Workspace command again. You can pick the old name from the list to easily update it. InDesign CCss_018.png

Once you get it right, you can just reset the workspace whenever you need to. I'm not clear what you mean by "After closing my workspace"—I switch from workspace to workspace as I move from job to job, but one is always loaded. You can't actually close a workspace, though you can close panels that are controlled by the workspace. On that note, it's worth a reminder that a workspace mostly controls the panel displays: the Tools panel at the left, the Control panel at the top, and the other panels on the far right. If you change the menus (I sometimes add highlighting to commands I want my audience to see prominently), that can be included as well.

• 3. Re: Getting back workspace without reseting it?
              drew345 Level 1

Got it, Thank you.

I thought that the "reset workspace" command was reverting me to the original default workspace.

The actual problem was that I wasn't saving my workspace after making changes to it.

I thought that the workspace would automatically remember changes I made to it. I didn't know I had to do the "new Workspace" and then choose the old name. (seems like odd steps to "save" changes, but at least now I know.)

Thanks so much!!

• 4. Re: Getting back workspace without reseting it?
                BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Oh good! Workspaces are a terrific productivity tool. Once you understand them, you wonder how you ever lived without them.

• 5. Re: Getting back workspace without reseting it?
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

InDesign maintains two versions of every named workspace, the state it was in when saved (or its default state for the built-in workspaces) and a "current" version which has the last used configuration if you rearrange panels or change menus, etc. Both of these are stored in your user profile or user library in the Workspaces folder as .xml files.

When you close ID, or switch workspaces, the "current" workspace should be saved in the <WorkspaceName>_CurrentWWorkspace.xml file, and that version is the one that should be used when you restart or switch back to any workspace. Using the Reset <WorkspaceName> command deletes the current version .xml file for the workspace and reverts to the saved condition. The current version file is rewritten when you make changes in the workspace and switch workspaces or close InDesign. Failing to close InDesign properly (using Force Quit, for example) will prevent the current version from writing to disk and it will not be saved.

I have seen cases where a workspace becomes corrupt, and deleting its .xml file and re-saving is the only way to get things back on track.