6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2016 8:34 AM by martengustafson

LR6 won't some of my photos

martengustafson

Hello,

I have an issue regarding some missing photos in LR6. I had about 400 photos in a folder on my MacBook that I transferred (via LR) over to an external hard drive a couple of days ago. When I opened up LR today, about half of the photos were missing. They have been moved from my laptop to the external hard drive, but for some reason, LR have missed to import 200 of them. When I try to import them again, I can see/chose from 388 photos, but when the import starts, it says "nothing to import". I moved 3 folders at the same time, but two out of three were "intact".

I assume the easiest thing would be to remove the folder from LR and then import the whole thing again. I rather not do this since I've done some major adjustments to some of the photos.

Anyone who've had this problem in the past? I recently updated LR - not sure if this matters.

Regards,

Marten

• 1. Re: LR6 won't some of my photos
          dj_paige Level 9

You can't import (and shouldn't import) photos into Lightroom that have been previously imported. When it says "nothing to import", that is because the photos are already in Lightroom.

The easiest thing to do is to find the photos using your operating system, so you know their location, and then in Lightroom, find the photos, they should have an exclamation point icon, then re-connect the photos by clicking on the exclamation point icon next to each photo and pointing to their actual folder location.

I assume the easiest thing would be to remove the folder from LR and then import the whole thing again. I rather not do this since I've done some major adjustments to some of the photos.

While this is not easy, it does not fix the problem, and as you said it will cause you to lose your edits. IMPORTANT PRINCIPLE: Never re-import photos.

I recently updated LR - not sure if this matters.

Updated to what version?

• 2. Re: LR6 won't some of my photos
            martengustafson Level 1

Thank you dj_paige,

The photos does not have an exclamation point icon, but I found them using "All Photographs" and then sorting down to camera and dates. For some reason, LR has created a new folder called "Photos". The photos exist in both folders, but half of the photos shows up in the original folder in LR, while the other half shows up in the new folder.

Does this leave me to just remove the two folders and re-import them?

I'm using LR 6.1.1

• 3. Re: LR6 won't some of my photos
              Bob Somrak Level 6

You don't need to delete and reimport.  You can just combine the two folders in Lightroom by moving the files from the new folder to the original folder.  Also, you should update to Lr 6.6.1 as you are using a REALLY old version.

• 4. Re: LR6 won't some of my photos
                martengustafson Level 1

Sorry, forgot to add that I''ve already tried this. This is what comes up when I try combining the two folders.Skärmavbild 2016-08-27 kl. 16.44.13.png

As I mentioned, LR has made a copy of the photos and they exists both in the original as well as in the new folder.

Also, that was a typo - I'm using LR 6.6.1

• 5. Re: LR6 won't some of my photos
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Looks like you have two sets of files that are the same on your hard drive. Only one is referenced in Lightroom. When you try to move the files that are referenced in Lightroom to the destination where you want them, it turns out they are already in that location. What you would do in this case is to first move the files out of the destination where you are trying to move the files inside Lightroom to a safe place and then move the files that are inside Lightroom. That should work. Then when you are convinced you have every image you need, you can delete the extra copies. Make sure you really understand what you are doing before you delete any files and it might be better to simply move them off to a backup disk and see if Lightroom can find all your files in the normal places.

• 6. Re: LR6 won't some of my photos
                    martengustafson Level 1

Thank you Jao vdL, this solved my problem. Still had to remove the files in the "new" folder, but everything works now.