3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 12:31 AM by Mylenium

Too Many Scripts

Howy2012

The latest download for AECC tells me at startup that I have too many scripts ("you exceeded the allowed number of scripts") and I should delete a few...

Really?

A) Why is it limited?

B) What is the "magic number"? I have moved a lot of them out (which annoys me, because now when I open an older file, it is going to tell me that the effects are missing...) and I still get the error message...

This is going to be bad news for all of the script developers, if you can only have a few in your script toolbox... Not to mention us humble users...

• 1. Re: Too Many Scripts
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

A) Why is it limited?

Presumably to avoid menu clutter since scripts can generate menu items and to avoid performance issues with drawing too many custom palettes. I have no exact number, but then again I've never used that many scripts, which quite honestly probably is the bigger issue here. It seems you just grab(bbed) whatever you can and sent AEScripts a lot of money when in fact many scripts from different vendors often have redundant functions. Perhaps rethink your strategy? The same would be true for the pseudo-effects you seem to use, generated by some scripts. I'd start by thinking hard whether al lthis stuff is realyl necessary and if not manually binding parameters to expression controls without generating such a pseudo-effect will do just as well. Either way, I've never heard anyone reporting a similar issue, so to me the answer clearly is "user error", but since you have not provided any useful info like exact version of AE, exact number, types and names of scripts, system info and all that jazz, this is nothing anyone probably can answer beyond my speculative ponderings.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Too Many Scripts
            Howy2012 Level 1

Just so you know - I have exactly the same number of scripts I have had for the previous 8 versions of AE and it was never an issue.

I used to think a lot of you, Mylenium. I don't any more.

• 3. Re: Too Many Scripts
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Just so you know - I have exactly the same number of scripts I have had for the previous 8 versions of AE and it was never an issue.

Well, then do what I said - list them with exact version info, system info and all that stuff. Perhaps you are simply using an incompatible legycy script that gobbles up resources and occupies all slots. The rest is of no consequence. Clearly all I do or ever did isn't dependent on being "famous" or respected by people. It's just little old me being myself and I never cared much for other people's opinions about me.

Mylenium