1 2 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 7:58 AM by Mike 1 Irish

Intel 600p m.2 ssd

RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

Intel® SSD 600p Series: PC Storage Optimized

the 1tb spec's show 1800/560 MB/s read/write, so these appear to offer middle ground performance somewhere between sata ssd and full x4 pcie ssd. the best part appears to be the prices, which are close to sata ssd prices. 256gb at $105, 512gb at $190, and 1tb at $360. at those prices they may replace most sata ssd choices and are an affordable option in situations when the full x4 pcie read speed isn't needed. the low write speeds won't be so good for situations where heavy writing is involved. we will have to wait for reviews to find out how they really perform.

• 1. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Thanks for the heads-up.  Terrible write rate and high I/O is typical of data base application usage.

Samsung's new SM961/960 pro devices have been now missed August delivery, September delivery is cancelled and latest delivery on my order is now early October????  Pricing is good but I would easily spend the $100 to $150 dollars more for a 1TB  that has more than 3x the write rate.

• 2. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

even with the low write rate, they may make good media read drives and a better option over any sata ssd. that may create problems where someone wants to use 3-4 m.2 drives and they run out of pcie and m.2 slots...  if the new samsung drives are more affordable, samsung might also lower the sata ssd prices. as long as intel keeps these closer to sata ssd prices, the intel drives should be a valid option for many builds. as for spending $100-150 more, not everyone is going to need a faster ssd, or may decide its not worth the money, or might not have the budget to afford it.

• 3. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

a few reviews came out for the intel 600p, with mixed to poor results. mostly terrible write rates once the cache buffer was full, lower than sata ssd. at its best, in some sequential benchmarks showed 2x faster than sata ssd read. basically the read/write specs intel list are no where near real world performance, its much worse. after seeing the reviews i would recommend sata ssd raid-0 over the intel 600p. for folks avoiding raid setups the intel 600p is still nearly half the price of the 960 pro msrp, but the 960 evo msrp is in-between the two prices and should be worth the extra cost.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                Terry_Green Level 1

Intel SSD 600p (256Gb, SLC Area 8.5Gb) very slow write video. _http://www.efxi.ru/more/intel_ssd_600p_video.html _http://www.efxi.ru/more/intel_ssd_600p_disk.html

• 5. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

i tried to read what i could with google translate, those results appear to be even worse than the already bad storage reviews that i ran across.

• 6. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                    Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Hi Ronin. I received my Preordered Intel 600p this morning but my i7-6850K was delayed due to bad weather? I should have it here tomorrow. What tests would you like me to carry out and which programs would you like me to use for these tests.

Cheers.

Mike.

PS. I opted to purchase the Intel 600p as the price is incredible for a M.2 Nvme drive. When you look at the prices that Samsung are asking for their current 1Tb and 2Tb drives, I find it crazy note to pick up the intel unit! I am hoping like many others that the introduction of Intel's M.2 line up will help to drive down prices of SSD's/ U.2 and M.2 storage in general. I am thinking that Samsung and others are rethinking their pricing structure now.

Cheers.

Mike

• 7. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

i would be interested in any difference you notice between any other drives you have, like sata ssd or samsung m.2. supposedly the intel drives aren't too bad for read, so it might be ok for editing and exporting, but writes are terrible once the cache is full.

Bill Gehrke runs the PPBM7 Benchmark  if you want to run a benchmark...

as far as the price of the intel 600p drives, i think they are about fair price when compared to its performance. just slightly above sata ssd prices and much lower than the samsung m.2's. the samsung 960 evo should be the value spot for top performance, but is limited to 1tb. also, not everyone will need those kinds of speeds, many may be just fine and happy with the 600p read speeds.

• 8. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                        Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Ok Ronin I will run those PPM7 tests and post them hopefully about this time tomorrow evening, if all goes well with the CPU delivery tomorrow?

The setup that I am thinking of is as follows.

1# Intel 600p 1Tb drive. My C drive. ( OS W10) and programs.

2# Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb. My Scratch drive.

3# Samsung 950 Pro 1Tb SSD. My import a temporary storage drive.

4#  Four Seagate 4Tb hard drives in raid 10 backup.

5# Four Seagate 4Tb hard drives. A second  raid 10 backup.

I would like to hear your suggestions on my proposed set up.

Cheers.

Mike

• 9. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

Mike download CrystalDiskMark and give us a screen grab.

The first data we have seen was a little disappointing on the write rate performance.

Here is my M.2 Samsung 960 Pro 512GB

960 512 MB 8-core 4.5GHz .png

My PPBM Disk I/O test actually records a write rate of 1952 MB/s

• 10. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                            Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Hi Bill. Are you trying to make me SICK before I even fit the 600P Ha Ha!

No problem Bill. I was thinking of using the CDM program. I surely will do that tomorrow Bill and post them here about this time tomorrow night.

Regards.

Mike

• 11. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

Mike,

It looks like it will be a good source for reading media but from the specs I have seen the write rate will be about the same performance as a SATA III SSD but for that price (right now it is less than $300 USD) could be avaluable building block.

Bill

• 12. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Update on CUP delivery. It looks like I could be lucky but it does look like if I do get it tomorrow it will be late afternoon. Me thinks it won't arrive until monday !

Mike

DHL Result Summary

Waybill: Shipment information receivedSign up for shipment notificationsMonday, November 21, 2016 at 11:32Origin Service Area:GATWICK - HERTFORDSHIRE - UKDestination Service Area:DUBLIN - Newbridge - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF

1 Piece

Monday, November 21, 2016LocationTimePiece
                                1Shipment information receivedGATWICK - UK11:32
                                • 13. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

looks like you are really going to be maxing slots and ports with m.2 drives and hdd's. normally a sata ssd would be preferred for os/apps and even some cache, just to free up the pcie lanes as the gains from a m.2 os/apps drive will be little to none. bill has also said he will be testing a single m.2 drive config, to simplify setups further from the 2 drive setups recommend now. the 8 hdd's in two sets of raid 10 seems overkill. if you are doing it as a backup solution, i would suggest taking some of the hdd's out of the computer and using them in a nas or das or removable external device to have an isolated backup that would be more secure. also i don't believe the motherboard chipset can do all that, so you would have to use windows to build one or both raid setups, or a real hardware raid card which would need space and pcie lanes on the motherboard.

• 14. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                    Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Mike,

It looks like it will be a good source for reading media but from the specs I have seen the write rate will be about the same performance as a SATA III SSD but for that price (right now it is less than $300 USD) could be avaluable building block.

Bill

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you're right Bill, but I hope not! I'm thinking that with the way I intend to set it up it should be ok for my purposes?

Mike

• 15. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

Bill Gehrke wrote:

it looks like it will be a good source for reading media but from the specs I have seen the write rate will be about the same performance as a SATA III SSD but for that price (right now it is less than $300 USD) could be avaluable building block.

depending on the reviews the write speeds are very different. one review showed once the cache was full the intel 600p was performing closer to a 7200 rpm hdd for writes, much worse than any current sata ssd.

• 16. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

Mike wrote:

I'm thinking that with the way I intend to set it up it should be ok for my purposes?

it will be fine for os/apps, as the cache should be large enough to handle most scenario's. if you are copying large amounts of data onto the drive you will see the transfer rate drop once the cache is full. once everything is installed and files copied over, its mostly reading from the os/apps drive, which is where the intel 600p does ok.

• 17. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                          Mike 1 Irish Level 1

The MOBO and CPU can handle it I have looked into it and a lesser CPU and older MOBO of the same model can run two raid setups on windows without problems. I guy I know is running a similar setup for video editing but hey has it setup in two raid 0's. I haven't reily made my mind up fully yet on the second raid 10. At this present moment I am still undecided as if it is worth the hassle. I do have a NAS as backup off site.

Thank you Ronin for your thoughts and input. I do appreciate it.

Regards.

Mike

• 18. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                            Mike 1 Irish Level 1

I only wish that we could get these here in Ireland at those prices   There is the sort of prices that we have to contend with here in Ireland / Europe. Please remember that here in Ireland we use € EURO and the £ pound sterling is about 20c higher than the € at the moment.

Intel DrivePEKKW010T7X1 Optane 600P 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2Solid State Drive - Metallic

by Intel

RRP:£500.99
                                            Price:£353.98 + £16.05 UK delivery
                                            You Save:£147.01 (29%)

• 19. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                              Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Yes Ronin it's hard to find a proper review, I suppose it's early days yet. Most are revuing the smaller capacity 600p's as the larger one has just launched. It seems like that eich review that I have seen so far are miles apart on performance. Time will tell I suppose. 

Cheers.

Mike

• 20. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

Mike,

We are all rooting for you to be very happy with it.  It would also change the Samsung prices.  Their 960 Pro 1 TB is due after the first of the year.

• 21. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                  Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Hi Bill and Ronin. Well it's 3.10PM here and I am just off the phone with DHL. The CUP is still in a warehouse in England!  and I won't have it here until Monday at the earliest? :-(

I hope that you all have a super weekend.

Cheers for now.

Mike

• 22. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

Mike,

I have traded at Flexx, of course I do not have your VAT.  They sometimes have early availability of items even before they had it in the USA

Sorry about your delivery,

"See" you early next week

Bill

• 23. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                      Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Thank you for the link Bill. I will check them out now and in the future.

Cheers.

Mike

• 24. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                        Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Hi all. Well disaster has struck again I am afraid. I contacted DHL and they informed me that they haven't received the package and I should contact AMAZON! AMAZON De. apologised and said that they would look into this and that they would contact me next Friday? I have now cancelled the order with them. I have placed a new order with AMAZON UK but the CPU is currently out of stock and that I will receive it the early next week. Fingers crossed.So in short I wont be testing the Intel 600P until altheast then?

Sorry guys.

Cheers.

Mike

Delivery estimate: Saturday, 3 December 2016 - Tuesday, 6 December 2016 by 8:00pm

• 25. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                          Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Well has anyone found and new information on the New Intel 600P M.2 drives. In particular to me the larger one of the pack the 1Tb drive? I am very interested in finding out has Intel released and new driver updates for these! From what i've been reading it would seem that the initial  drivers need improvement made that could drastically improve their performance.I certainly hope that that is so.

I won't be in a position to test my drive until at least the middle of next week. What I am hoping for is more proper real life reviews.

So please don't be afraid to post anything that you might find that could help us research this very important instruction to the market by Intel. I feel that it will change the whole pricing structure of storage in the coming years. 

Regards.

mike

• 26. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                            Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Hi all. I found some new info on the intel 600P that I thought you might find interesting. It would seem that the drivers will indeed be updated by the end of next month. I have included a link to the Intel Community 600P site.>  NVMe Driver For Intel 600p, And SMART Data Issue |Intel Communities

Cheers.

Mike

• 27. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                              Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Hi all. Well I finely got my Intel 600p setup on my PC. I run the Samsung magician software to test each one's speed. Yes the Samsung is faster but I am happy with the speed of the Inlet one. My PC seems every bit as snappy as with the Samsung M.2 that I had as my C drive. I can't fault the Intel 600p and when you tape the price into account the same 1Tb Samsung is very expensive for the speed difference involved.

Cheers.

Mike 

imageFile.jpg

• 28. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                                Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Well please don't whip me?

intel 600p.jpgSamsung Pro M.2 256 Bg test.jpg

• 29. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                                  Terry_Green Level 1

CrystalDiskMark is a synthetic benchmark, if you record videos to 600p amount equal to the SLC Area in Adobe Premiere Pro, the hard drive (HDD) will work faster... Intel 600p: http://www.efxi.ru/file/intel_ssd_600p_disk.files/031.gif Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 http://www.efxi.ru/file/intel_ssd_600p_disk.files/034.gif when write video (80Gb)

• 30. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                                    Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Hi Terry. Well it looks like you have done your homework judging on those results! However I don't do video so I don't think it will effect me very much. I think looking at Samsung's latest release the 1Tb 860 Evo is the way to go. If the New 860 1tb EVO was on sale at the time I purchased the Intel I would have got the EVO in a hart beet. But what I have now will work fine for me as my main program drive. The C  doesn't really do much heavy lifting anyway. I will fit the small Samsung Pro 256 I have as my scratch drive and I have another 1Tb Samsung 950 pro SSD that I will use as my tep working file drive. I then will save them over to my Seagate drives, tree 4Tb drives. these ones are the 7,200 ones. I also have a raid 10 to set up that comprises of four 4Tb Seagate drives.

By the way. Thank you for your input to the tread. It's hard to find good information on new drives and harder still to get people to contribute?

Regards.

Mike

PS. I got the 600p for £297.24  on pre-released the Samsung 960 EVO is £405

https://flic.kr/p/MQL372

• 31. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                                      Terry_Green Level 1

Hi. It's simple. Intel 600p is not intended for video recording. If the video is not to write, it is usually budget-level disk SATA. Therefore, for him and asking for so much money... For the money to buy TLC+SMI makes no sense.

• 32. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

While CrystalDiskMark is a synthetic benchmark I find a very high degree of correlation with actually writing a test file from Premiere.  My Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) has a timeline that we can measure how fast Premiere can really write directly out of Premiere to any storage device.  As an example with my latest SSD the M.2 Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB device has a CrystalDiskMark as tested on my desktop like this:

The CDM sequential write rate of 2130 MB/second.  With PPBM Disk I/O test directly from Premiere I get 1952 MB/second.  This test works and correlates well from the slowest disk drives up to the fastest new SSD's

• 33. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                                          Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Hi Bill. Very impressive stuff that 960 is. I was looking on Amazon today and they shoe that they have the 960 EVO 1tb / 500 and the 256tb for sale! The sting in the tale is that they have them on pre-order and they will send them out when they have them in stock.

(SOME TIME IN THE NEW YEAR) The prices they are looking for is high but I believe that the EVO is the way to go where price to pro-romance is concerned. Please remember this is my humble opinion?

Cheers.

Mike

• 34. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                                            Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Hi All. I have retested the following drives so that the members here should have a better understanding as to what sort of speeds to expect from these drives.

1: Intel 600p 1TB M.2 drive. This is Intel's latest offering to the M.2 market.

2: Samsung Pro 256 GB M.2 Drive.

3: Samsung 950 Pro 1 TB SSD drive.

4 Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB 5900rpm 64MB Cash Sata III Hard drives. I tested four of these drives as they each registered  different speeds when testing?

Regards.

Mike

Intel second test No 2.jpg

Samsung Pro M.2 256 Bg test.jpg

Samsung 850 PRO 1 TB 2.5 inch SATA III Solid State Drive Speed test No 2.jpg

Segate HD SPEED TEST.jpg

Seagate HD disk speed test. Disk no.2.jpg

Seagatr HD disk number3.jpg

Seagate HD disk speed test. disk no.4.jpg

• 35. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                                              JFPhoton Level 3

Bill owns the 960 Samsung PRO M.2 SSD and NOT the " EVO" version. The EVO is no way as good as the PRO version....it has cheaper and less reliable memory and much poorer write performance. If getting a M.2 PCI  NVMe SSD, stick with the 960 PRO version !

• 36. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                                                Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Hi JF. Yes I know that Bill was talking about the 960 PRO and not the EVO. I just taught it might be useful to posted my results of what I have in my system so that others can see the kind of speed to expect from these kind of storage drives. I did as you know purchase the Intel 600P unit and I was disappointed in the results that I got from in these tests. So much so that I have filed a return to Amazon in faver of the Samsung EVO or maby even the PRO 960? I am still looking for information and the 960 EVO  and the 960 PRO but the EVO is harder to find anything on so far. Well I have a little more time to recherche these drives now that I have filed for a return, but if I cannot find a big improvement in the EVO'S performance I just might stay with the Intel 600P that I have now. I think it is a shame now that I have almost all my programs set up on this drive to change it out but I just might do it if the is big improvement there to be had by changing over now. My system is finished now and I spent allot of money on it so I don't wand to regret it later for the sake of a couple of quid (€) now?

Regards.

Mike 

• 37. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                                                  Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Hi again I have just now found this test report on the Samsung 960 EVO 1TB drive and it looks very promising!

Hope you find this helpful. Samsung's 960 EVO SSD reviewed - The Tech Report - Page 1

Regards.

Mike

• 38. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd

there seems to be this endless claim of needing/recommending the fastest ssd, even when they list media that will work on a hdd. i keep wondering when it ends, when will the fastest ssd actually be too much? when do we recommend a drive based on budget and the need of user and system in question, rather than just recommending the fastest ssd available? lets just make a post listing all the fastest hardware, fastest cpu, fastest gpu, etc, and tell people buy this, and nothing but this will work...

back to reality, various review benchmarks of the 960 evo are showing very good results. i think that most people will be fine with the evo speeds, and the very few people that need more should look at raid-0 2+ m.2 drives. the pro does have much longer warranty and endurance rating, but with ssd's changing so fast its just as likely they will replace the evo with a newer drive before it fails.

• 39. Re: Intel 600p m.2 ssd
                                                                                      Mike 1 Irish Level 1

Hi Ronin. fair point but what I am trying to do is inform people as to what speeds they are likely to get from from these drives. Remember earlier in this post I was asked to use the christle disk maker 5 to show the results of the NEW Intel 600p M.2 drive. I think I went a step farther and gave a more accredited set of results so people can clearly see for them self's what results I have gotten with each drive. If tomorrow a newer and faster drive comes on the market and I have it I will post my findings so we all know what speeds that these drives can cohesive. I hope that I have shone this clearly for all to see and ruse one that the like and that they can afford.

Cheers.

mike 

1 2 Previous Next