9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 6:16 PM by brendeny42673251

After Effects Choppy Video

brendeny42673251 Level 1

Hi,

I have recently been having problems with After Effects when rendering video, never used to have this problem before. I am attempting to sell lower thirds and must export them as PNG with alpha channel QT (1920X1080). What ever settings I choose, if its either SD or HD I get choppy playback when viewing in quicktime, and the weird thing is, it will lag in different stages of video playback and sometimes not happen at all. It gets even worse when I bring the 1920X1080 Apple Pro Res video from AE to premiere, choppy video chaos. The annoying thing is, this never used to be a problem, so why now? Is my mac possibly no longer able to handle such video? Is there a problem with AE settings or could it be my mac?

I just don't want to sell choppy video to buyers and obviously want smooth playback

Here is my macbook preferences:

OS X EL Capitan

Retina display

Processor 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536MB

Memory 8GB

Help would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: After Effects Choppy Video
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

PNG and ProRes CoDec support is sort of broken in the current version. Use a different format such as image sequences.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects Choppy Video
            brendeny42673251 Level 1

Well, I just tested the video clip using a black magic mini monitor on a TV and converted the clip to H.264 using FCPX and it played smoothly. It continues to play choppy on the mac only.

• 3. Re: After Effects Choppy Video
              brendeny42673251 Level 1

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

• 4. Re: After Effects Choppy Video
                Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Sorry if I am stating the obvious here but it's hard to know the experience level of the users here - here goes: I understand this may have not happened to you before, but playing lossless files in Quicktime player (or any type of player really) has always been a bit choppy as you are essentially giving your player a very large data rate to try to playback and it can't quite handle it.

lossless files have always been a production codec and not a playback codec i.e their intention is not to be played back in a video player, but to be compiled in another Compositing/NLE App. if you want a smooth playback in a video player you need a compressed file (H.264 for example). if you need to show your client your work, you encode an H.264 file and this is your preview version. if he approves it, you send him the lossless version for further editing.

here's a tutorial I made that goes in depth of rendering and encoding through Ae vs AME. it's much more in detail on other aspects a rendering workflow, but the first part is about the differences between a rendered version and an encoded version of a video.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: After Effects Choppy Video
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

brendeny42673251 wrote:

Well, I just tested the video clip using a black magic mini monitor on a TV and converted the clip to H.264 using FCPX and it played smoothly. It continues to play choppy on the mac only.

That's because H.264 is often a DELIVERY codec.  It's meant for playback.  PNG, on the other hand, is an INTERMEDIATE codec.  it's meant to be passed on to another application with no loss for further work.

The file sizes are huge -- no loss in image quality, y'know?

The throughput needed for smooth playback is beyond the capabilities of most hard drives -- no loss in image quality, y'know? 

So yeah, you're going to jet herky-jerky playback on files in the PNG codec.  Now, if we only knew what you were doing with the PNG files, we might be able to offer some suggestions.

• 6. Re: After Effects Choppy Video
                    brendeny42673251 Level 1

Thank you both for the reply.

Dave LaRonde wrote:

So yeah, you're going to jet herky-jerky playback on files in the PNG codec. Now, if we only knew what you were doing with the PNG files, we might be able to offer some suggestions.

I am attempting to sell Lower Thirds, so they must be PNG + Alpha. So, as long as the video is converted to H.264 it should be fine.

• 7. Re: After Effects Choppy Video
                      Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Yep. Playback version to show your work, Production version for final delivery.

• 8. Re: After Effects Choppy Video
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

brendeny42673251 wrote:

am attempting to sell Lower Thirds, so they must be PNG + Alpha. So, as long as the video is converted to H.264 it should be fine.

Bad news -- H.264 doesn't support alpha channels.  You'd have to use a video codec that does, or you'll have to make two versions of each lower third: Matte and Fill.

• 9. Re: After Effects Choppy Video
                          brendeny42673251 Level 1

Dave LaRonde wrote:

Bad news -- H.264 doesn't support alpha channels. You'd have to use a video codec that does, or you'll have to make two versions of each lower third: Matte and Fill.

Oh, I know! Just meant that anyone that users the Lower Thirds won't have the issue if they convert the videos in their editing software to a playback codec. Was concerned that I was selling choppy video!

If I have any more issues, I'll continue to post here. You guys have been great help.