5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 10:34 AM by John Waller

New laptop - how to use a catalog from a previous laptop?

mog63720730h

I have an old and a new laptop, both with Lightroom 6 installed, and I have transferred all my Lightroom picture files from the previous laptop to the new one. Is there a way to use the old catalog on the new computer? The picture files are in the folder Lenovo/Pictures/Lightroom on the old laptop, and on MacingtoshHD/Users/'Username'/Pictures/Lightroom on the new one. All the subfolders have the same structure within both Lightroom folders.

I would be most grateful for any help.

• 1. Re: New laptop - how to use a catalog from a previous laptop?
          dj_paige Level 9

You also need to transfer the catalog file to the new laptop. Full details are here: How do I move Lightroom to a new computer? | The Lightroom Queen

• 2. Re: New laptop - how to use a catalog from a previous laptop?
            mog63720730h Level 1

Thank you for that - the article 'How do I move Lightroom to a new computer' was helpful. I did realise that I needed to transfer the old catalog file across, but I am worried whether Lightroom will be able to find the pictures in their new locations, as presumably the catalog somehow references the top pictures folder with the old path Lenovo\Pictures\Lightroom rather than the new path MacintoshHD/Users/MyUsername/Pictures/Lightroom/New (when I posted the message, I'd forgotten I also have a subfolder 'New' under Pictures).

To: Liane Howard [private info removed by Mod]

Sent: Sunday, 28 August 2016, 14:34

Subject:  New laptop - how to use a catalog from a previous laptop?

New laptop - how to use a catalog from a previous laptop?

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionYou also need to transfer the catalog file to the new laptop. Full details are here: How do I move Lightroom to a new computer?

The Lightroom Queen  If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8970072#8970072 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8970072#8970072 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.  This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• 3. Re: New laptop - how to use a catalog from a previous laptop?
              dj_paige Level 9

I am worried whether Lightroom will be able to find the pictures in their new locations, as presumably the catalog somehow references the top pictures folder with the old path Lenovo\Pictures\Lightroom rather than the new path MacintoshHD/Users/MyUsername/Pictures/Lightroom/New

But this is all explained in the article

• 4. Re: New laptop - how to use a catalog from a previous laptop?
                mog63720730h Level 1

Sorry to waste your time, I hadn't read the "Setting up folder hierarchy" part, which of course does answer the question.

I have one more problem: On the PC, right-clicking on the top level folder works fine in order to choose Update Folder Location. But this doesn't seem to work on the Mac?

[ autoquote deleted by host]

• 5. Re: New laptop - how to use a catalog from a previous laptop?
                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have one more problem: On the PC, right-clicking on the top level folder works fine in order to choose Update Folder Location. But this doesn't seem to work on the Mac?

Ctrl+click on Mac.