1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2016 12:39 AM by HVid

System: optimization possible?

HVid

My system is a bit slow. What changes regarding configuration can I make to get my computer - and especially my editing software - smooth again?

Thx!

-------------

Windows 8.1, Intel Core i7 4790 CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 16,0GB Dual-Kanaal DDR3,

APP CC 2015.3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (EVGA) 2047MB,

• 1. Re: System: optimization possible?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The main changes that you can make on an existing system are overclocking and tuning.  Go to my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) web site and download the benchmark, run it, submit the results and I will try to give you some comments.  Since my partner on the web site Harm Millaard passed away early this year some the info on the site is getting out of date and updating results is difficult for me.  I will look at your results and try to comment.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: System: optimization possible?
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your hard drive setup?

• 3. Re: System: optimization possible?
              HVid Level 1

Cache on SSD (but recently on SATA HD) and projects on ext. HD 3.0

• 4. Re: System: optimization possible?
                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you have room for more internal drives?

• 5. Re: System: optimization possible?
                  HVid Level 1

I'm sorry. Tried to benchmark, but the suggested settings don't work (export). Checkmarks change presets, so it becomes 'custom'. Also the suggested .vbsfile doesn't exist. Selected one, and the file couldn't be opened.

• 6. Re: System: optimization possible?
                    HVid Level 1

There's still room, yes.

• 7. Re: System: optimization possible?

After selecting the presets any changes do change it to "Custom" so just proceed exporting from there.   After you have the four exports and you cannot run the VBS script is then a local problem.  Some spam/virus software prevent these from running since you have CC2015.3 you want to run the "Statistics PPBM10.3.vbs" file which is the actua Premiere version number when you have CC2015.3.  Thousands of people have tested and successfully run these scripts over the past 11 years

• 8. Re: System: optimization possible?
                        HVid Level 1

Ok Bill, thx for your response. B.t.w.: my version is CC 2015.4 .

I'll start again with preset on Custom.

• 9. Re: System: optimization possible?
                          HVid Level 1

Sorry, again: can't find the file. Tried all scripts, all security off

• 10. Re: System: optimization possible?

HVid wrote:

Sorry, again: can't find the file.

What file?

Are you getting an error message?  Did you follow the instructions to export your files to the PPBM folder, if not CUT (do not copy) and paste them to where the scripts are located

• 11. Re: System: optimization possible?
                              HVid Level 1

the .vbs file. It wasn't found, but I missed the instruction to export the files into the PPBM folder. I'll cut them and paste them in the right folder.

• 12. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                HVid Level 1

Still runtime error by the .vbscript

• 13. Re: System: optimization possible?

What is the error message copy and paste and show it here.

• 14. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                    HVid Level 1

Ok, here it is (Dutch): ScreenHunter_04 Sep. 02 09.42.jpg

• 15. Re: System: optimization possible?

This error means that the script cannot find the file "MPEG2-DVD test_1.m2v" which is the CPU intensive export of the "MPEG2-DVD" timeline.

• 16. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                        HVid Level 1

It's situated in the map you suggested.

• 17. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                          HVid Level 1

MPEG2-DVD test.m2v, not _1 is in the map

• 18. Re: System: optimization possible?

Until you have all four export files you cannot run the script.  Go back to the Premiere project and in the MPEG2-DVD timeline advance the CTI three frames to get the English instructions on how to export a MPEG2-DVD test_1.m2v file.

• 19. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                              HVid Level 1

I'm sorry, I don't understand this:

Bill Gehrke schreef:

Until you have all four export files you cannot run the script. Go back to the Premiere project and in the MPEG2-DVD timeline advance the CTI three frames to get the English instructions on how to export a MPEG2-DVD test_1.m2v file.

• 20. Re: System: optimization possible?

Sorry, since i do not speak your language I do not how to help you any more than I have done. 

• 21. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                  HVid Level 1

I understand. You asked a screenshot. It's basically the same as you placed above.

But this still is unclear to me:

Until you have all four export files you cannot run the script. Go back to the Premiere project and in the MPEG2-DVD timeline advance the CTI three frames to get the English instructions on how to export a MPEG2-DVD test_1.m2v file.

what do you mean by this?

• 22. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                    RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

CTI = current time indicator or playhead

• 23. Re: System: optimization possible?

On the MPEG2-DVD timeline there are two benchmark test that are necessary.  When your CTI is at the home position you have instructions for the export of the GPU accelerated benchmark test.  After you finish that test the instructions tell you to move the CTI ahead three frames and you will see this set of instructions for Step 3

This will produce the fourth benchmark which the error message tells me that file is missing and notice it is named "MPEG2-DVD test_1.m2v".  You do not have to rerun the other tests,  They do not have to be done in sequence.

• 24. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                        JFPhoton Level 3

It could be the use of your external drive which is slowing things down......it all depends on what type of drive it is and what type of connection it has. You said you have "projects" on it....that is not a clear description. If you have your project FILES on it along with your media source material, ( video footage),  you could EASILY have a slow " bottleneck" if that drive is a spinning hard drive connected over USB 3 and the drive itself is slow, running at 50 MB / second if half filled and not defragged.

Your source material needs to be located on your fastest drive to avoid bottle necks...especially if you are editing multiple video tracks of 1080p and higher resolutions.

For $30 more you could have gotten the 4790K CPU which turbos, ( without overclocking), up to 4.4Ghz...a full 10% increase over yours that turbos to 4.0Ghz.

16 GB system memory is marginal with the most current PPro versions that use more memory than in the past...32 GB is better. Your video card is OLD and  cannot compare to the current crop of NVidia GPUs. You need at least 4GB of DDR5 video memory if trying to work with 4K, due to frame buffering and other requirements.

Although your components are not ideal, the most likely culprit is using the external drive for project files and probably media. If you have USB 3 ports that are not too old, they might support the high speed protocol called " UASP" which allows the data transfer rate to approach 450MB/second using an external Samsung T1 or T3 drive...I have a Samsung T1  connected to my USB 3 port and get that speed on a 1 TB drive

Otherwise, you may want to insure that your internal drive setup is fast. That means a "boot drive " which is a fast, SATA III SSD, like a minimum 256GB Samsung 850 Pro. The boot drive should have ONLY the OS, programs, and Windows page file on it. An exception is that Bill has found placing the " cache" and " media cache " files there also creates NO penalty in performance. This makes for easy erasing of those files when a project is completed.

If possible, you may want install a PCI NVMe SSD drive like the Samsund 950 Pro to get maximum performance when editing...this drive does over 2GB/second read and 1.5GB second write, vs. the slow as molasses spinning 7200rpm hard drives of 100MB/second top speed when not filled.

Or, install an internal RAID 0 of two or more quality SSDs to get higher capacity. On either the NVMe drive ,or, on the RAID 0 you would put all your media files, project files, exports, and previews for best performance. Of course, you would want to have other drives to BACK UP anything important on that RAID, like your original source material and project files.

• 25. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

OP is using 8-10 tracks stacked with avchd as a means of multicam instead of the regular multicam feature.

• 26. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                            HVid Level 1

Guilty

First of all: thanks for your comment.

Yesterday I upgraded my system with another 16 Gb RAM. Regarding your remark about slow datatransfer: yesterday I ordered a Toshiba OZC RD400A, somewhat like you mentioned. It's a PCIe but at this moment I'm not quite sure if I'll work on my Asrock Z97 Extreme. According to the salesman it shouldn't be a problem...

Graphics card is old, I know. Maybe that's the next candidate for upgrading. And probably I'll have to kick myself and start working in multicammode - if this should increase speed etc.

• 27. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                              HVid Level 1

Just tried Multicam. No difference in performance.

Earlier I tried media cache files on SSD (256 Gb), due to lack of space I moved these folders to the project files HD, 7200 rpm indeed. In both cases I experienced a slow system. Bottleneck not found yet, maybe combi graphics card, int. memory ánd harddrives...

• 28. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                                JFPhoton Level 3

...again.....placing video footage and project files, along with the " media cache" files onto a SLOW, spinning external hard drive that is connected over USB is a BAD IDEA and is most likely the cause of your " bottleneck" !!

However, 8 to 10 tracks of highly compressed AVCHD on a timeline will strain even the most robust computer.....that in ITSELF would choke your machine.

Video footage and project files MUST be on a fast drive.......FORGET using a slow, external spinning hard drive for that !!

At a minimum,place those files on an internal 2nd SSD, or, SSD RAID 0, like I suggested.

Hopefully, you ordered at least a 256 GB version or larger of the OCZ NVMe drive, because the 128 GB version has HALF the write speed of the larger models.

If THAT NVMe drive works, put ALL files on it other than what goes on the boot drive !!  Only OS and programs with Windows page file should go on your boot drive. You may experiment placing JUST the "cache" and "media cache" files on the boot drive vs. on the NVMe drive to see if there is any performance difference,but, Bill has reported NONE.

Keep in mind that any additional video tracks added to a timeline  ADDS demand to the drive "serving up" your video clips.

• 29. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suggested the new proxy feature but that does not seem to work either on OP's system.

• 30. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                                    HVid Level 1

Ok, it seems I'm on the right track.

Expected SSD had 512 Gb. Actual HD is nót an USBconnected HD, but internal. But still... I know.

As I wrote earlier I also placed cache files on a SSD and this didn't work fluently too.

My boot drive is clean and it's my intention - as you mentioned - to put all the videofiles on the new PCIe SSD.

• 31. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                                      HVid Level 1

Maybe after the upgrade (tomorrow) proxy ánd multicam works fine :-)

• 32. Re: System: optimization possible?

If you ever get to run that fourth missing PPBM export and get some results we can see what is holding you back.  When you have all four required files and successfully run the Statistics10.3.vbs file, here is the summary showing what I get on my laptop.

Then send us the results as in the Output.csv file  which look something like this: 

"76","194","56","801", Premiere Version:, 10.4.0.30

• 33. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                                          HVid Level 1

Ok Bill, thx. I'll try this now again. Struggeling at the moment with the new card. Initializing/GPT etc.

I'll be back..

• 34. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                                            HVid Level 1

I'm sorry, doesn't work. Still the same errors. I rest my case. Thanks for your energy.

• 35. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                                              HVid Level 1

Ok, new PCIe SSD seems faster. But still not as expected. I'm not working with 4K, so no need for a new graphics card, it seems... more experiments needed ..

• 36. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                                                HVid Level 1

I made a decision. Due to all the issues, tech probs, sometimes hard communication.. pfff  enough is enough. I will continue my hobby pure privately.
                                                                                Thank you for your thinking and more!

• 37. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                                                  HVid Level 1

btw. the HD caused the bottleneck. Now I have the PCIe SSD and it works like I wished and expected.

• 38. Re: System: optimization possible?
                                                                                    JFPhoton Level 3

...SEE !!!....haha !

Glad you are doing better !!!  The old, spinning hard drives are now being relegated for use as backups and archiving because they just are so slow compared to the newest  drives available.

Like RJL said, a half filled 7200 rpm hard drive may barely chug at 50 MB/second read speed while a new PCI SSD can read at 2 GB/ per second !!!.....that is FORTY TIMES AS FAST !!!   Happy editing !!

• 39. Re: System: optimization possible?

And there is no slowdown as the drive fills up!

1 2 Previous Next