4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 1:08 AM by kylossus

Cant export files.

kylossus

i messed up during installation and did not set up files to send my exports to. Now I am having problems exporting to any folder. What do i have to do to fix this?

• 1. Re: Cant export files.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first thing you need to do is ask in the forum for the program you are using

The Forum Lounge is not for technical help, please provide the name of the program you are using so your message may be moved to the correct program forum

• 2. Re: Cant export files.
            kylossus Level 1

You're absolutely right... Sorry...

I'm using an iMac IOS X El Capitan OS, trying to use the Lightroom5 program. I cannot save to my "photos app" (not that i actually want to) or more importantly in this case, my external hard drive. On my old laptop (not a windows) the external hard drive still works just fine and I have no problem exporting to the hard drive. In the Hard Drive properties, it says that the settings are for everyone to read/ write etc... yet when i switch the external Hard Drive over to my Mac, the hard drive says it is in "read only" mode. So i'm stumped. I know when i was initially loading my LR program onto my new iMac when it prompted me to select where to save by default... it kinda threw me for a loop, and i proceeded before thinking, then went back, and my only option was to "cancel"... at that point it continued installing the Lightroom5 program without me selecting where to save the exports. I think this is the initial cause of my problem, though i don't know how to correct it. It still doesn't explain why I can't save to my "photo App" though.

• 3. Re: Cant export files.
              JoeKostoss Adobe Community Professional

kylossus wrote:

You're absolutely right... Sorry...

I'm using an iMac IOS X El Capitan OS, trying to use the Lightroom5 program. I cannot save to my "photos app" (not that i actually want to) or more importantly in this case, my external hard drive. On my old laptop (not a windows)

Yes, that is correct, Lightroom cannot export to iMac "Photos".  Photos and Lightroom do not play well together.

Your old laptop (not a windows); is it apple?  I suspect that you might have an EHD format issue.

For a hard drive to be able to be read and written to in both a PC and Mac computer, it must be formatted to exFAT or FAT32 file format.

Find more info here or by searching on Google for Hard Drive File Formats.

How to format a WD external hard drive in exFAT or FAT32 | WD Support

• 4. Re: Cant export files.
                kylossus Level 1

The old Laptop Was a windows OS computer. But this response is very helpful. Thank you. So, in order to not lose the photos saved on my External Hard Drive I will have to either get a new External Hard Drive, format it to be exFAT/FAT32, and then transfer the photos from the old External HardDrive to the new one. Or, save all the files to the computer, reformate the current External Hard Drive, and then move the photos back to the Hard Drive. I think I will do the first option and then I will have a back up External Hard Drive (once I have bought a new one) which isn't a bad thing.