11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 6:04 PM by Obi-wan Kenobi

Deleting Links?

Intercostal Level 1

Latest Version Indesign, Windows

There seems to be 3 copies of a image link(circled in red) that I don't want in my project and I don't see anywhere in my pages. I can't seem to find any way of deleting it. When I click OV, a popup windows says: "Cannot show link: The selected link is hidden in overset text."

The uncircled link, "burm21,jpg", does show up on the page but how would I get rid of the 2 "OV" references relating to it in the link tab?

links.jpg

• 1. Re: Deleting Links?
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional
          • Window > Layers
          • Use the triangles to twirl open the layers, and look for the file called "burmese...6m.jpg"
          • Click the tiny square on the far right side of each occurrence and click the trash can
            InDesign CCss_004.png
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Deleting Links?
            Intercostal Level 1

Thanks, Barb. Somehow that also deleted text on the page as well. I apparently had images buried under text that were one and the same as far as the layers were concerned. Deleting the text, which was not called burmese...96.jpg, still deleted the burmese...96.jpg image,

• 3. Re: Deleting Links?

Selecting the image with the little square (called a dot) should not delete any text. But there are dots for text as well, so I'm wondering if you clicked one of those by accident?

The dot in the red highlight is for the image, the dot in the green highlight is for a text story.

InDesign CCss_004.png

• 4. Re: Deleting Links?
                Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Barb,

If overset, you won't see them in "Layers"! 

• 5. Re: Deleting Links?

Arg. That's just silly. How are you supposed to locate the images if you can't get at them through Layers, besides story editor? (And separately, why didn't I know that?)

So Intercostal, if you look at the story with the image in Edit > Edit in Story Editor, you will see images as little anchors. You can highlight and delete, but here's the problem with this technique... they all look the same.

I think the best answer should have been my first one: just place the rest of the overset text, which will allow you to navigate to them via the Links panel (click the page number or PB that appears where OV was). Or use the Layers panel as previously described.

Thanks O-W K. And if I've left you confused, Intercostal, please just let us know.

InDesign CCss_006.png

• 6. Re: Deleting Links?

Barb, there's a simple way:

Just import the same image on the pasteboard, then play F16! [ I'll tell you why later!  ]

• 7. Re: Deleting Links?
                      Intercostal Level 1

layers.jpgBarb, the layers tab showed two items: the text, "A 29,000 year old...",  and the image burm21.jpg, both of which I didn't/don't want to delete.

However, deleting the text from the layers tab also deletes the "hidden"  burmese...96.jpg, which I am actually trying to delete. In the link panel, it also gets rid of the 2 "OV" overset notations of the burm21.jpg, which are unneccessary.

I am new to Indesign and feel like I may have embedded extra copies of the 2 image files in the text or somehow associated them with the text.

EDIT: This is in regard to earlier post. I'm reading subsequent responses now.

• 8. Re: Deleting Links?
                        Intercostal Level 1

Barb, in response in 3:02, that(edit on story editor) worked as I was expecting. Thanks.

Attached is a screenshot contrasting to the "before" screenshot in the last post.

layers2.jpg

• 9. Re: Deleting Links?

Excellent, so you are now all set?

• 10. Re: Deleting Links?
                            Intercostal Level 1

As far as this issue I'm all set. Thanks.

• 11. Re: Deleting Links?

Not really sure!

Less easy to fix if, Instead of just 3 "overset" images, there're 100 same images in all the doc to be deleted (overset or not)? 

(^/)