16 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2017 9:57 PM by martysteinberg

Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop

LCPhoto86 Level 1

About a month ago the sync from Lightroom Mobile to Lightroom CC stopped working. In the upper left corner Lightroom CC says that photos are syncing and yet they never show up. Syncing from Lightroom CC to Lightroom Mobile works just fine so I don't think it's a not being logged in issue. Syncing between Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone and iPad also works fine. If I go to the Lightroom Mobile page for my account the photos are there. I am at a loss as to why they never download to my computer.

• 1. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
          greule Adobe Employee

When you open up the Lr Preferences->Lightroom Mobile section ...are there any photos listed within the "Pending Sync Activity"-window? - Guido

• 2. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
            LCPhoto86 Level 1

There are no photos listed there. Sorry I forgot to include this in my original post as I did notice this during my attempts to remedy the problem. Strangely in the accounts section it does list the correct number of photos that should be synced in the Uploads area.

I also looked at the 'Delete All Data' button that I found referenced in many of the other posts as a solution to some sync problems. My concern here is that the photos that are not syncing are in Lightroom Mobile on my iPad and iPhone and these are the only copies of these photos (there are copies on my Photos Page in my Adobe account however I can't seem to find a way to copy them in their original tiff file format, everything I've tried yeilds a jpg).  While there were lots of reassurances that the actual photos would not be deleted, I was still concerned as the only posts I could find about sync problems were when the direction of syncing was computer to mobile device not mobile device to computer. Computer to mobile syncing is working fine it's the photos on my mobile device that are not syncing to my computer.

• 3. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
              LCPhoto86 Level 1

After two long phone sessions with Adobe Support here is the soulution for this problem.

Basically you need to create an new empty catalog and then import all of your data from the old catalog to the new one.

Please read this before continuing: These steps are only for problems with syncing photos from your mobile devices to you computer. There are other instructions available in the forums for problems with syncing from computer to mobile devices which are much less time consuming and seem to work quite well.

Step by Step.

1. Export a copy of your existing catolog.

2. Create a new empty catalog.

3. Import your data from the exported catolog into the new empty one.

4. Quit Lightroom and re-open and the problem should be fixed. (The tech person didn't tell me to do this but I found that after doing the import the problem still existed. However, on a whim, I did the quit and re-open process and the problem was gone).

If you are unfamiliar with Importing and Exporting catalogs here is a page that explains how to do this: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/create-catalogs.html

Here are some helpful hints.

1. When exporting the catolog make sure the box that says something like 'include photos with export' is unchecked. Since all you want to do is export the metadata associated with your photos there is no need to include them in the export. This is checked only if you want to move the actual photos (which makes the export a much larger file and takes way longer to export and then import).

2. As far as checking the 'include previews' box… I'm not sure which is faster. If it's not checked then Lightroom will need to create new previews of all photos after you import them which could take a lot of time. With the box checked it will take longer to export and import.

3. Save your 'old catalog' until you have had a chance to spot check the imported version.

• 4. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                lindac93421476 Level 1

This fails to answer my problem which is exactly the same as yours.  My photos taken on my iphone with Lightroom mobile have been synced to the creative cloud, according to the phone, but they don't show up in my creative cloud files.  I cannot figure out how to do what you suggest, because I cannot even see a collection that they are in, let alone export them to another collection.  Nothing on my iphone app says anything about a collection, at least so far as I can see.

• 5. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                  greule Adobe Employee

These photos are not part of the creative cloud files panel. You can access your photos via Lr Web Adobe Photoshop Lightroom , Lr Desktop or with your mobile device.  - Guido

• 6. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                    lindac93421476 Level 1

I have tried to access these files through Lightroom desktop and they do not appear.  In fact, I have been so frustrated with this issue that I have deleted the Lightroom app from my phone.  The excitement of being able to take raw photos with this app on my phone is definitely tempered by the apparent inability to export the raw files from the phone or from the app.  I am going to be using other apps to take raw images with my phone because of this problem.  I understand that other apps will allow raw files to be placed in the camera roll which the lightroom app will not.  Lightroom mobile converts the raw files to jpegs before putting them in the camera roll.

• 7. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                      zakdog06 Level 1

I have the same problem but in reverse , pics are in Lightroom, it says it has synced with lr mobile but pics don't show in or mobile on my iPad or iPhone.

• 8. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                        greule Adobe Employee

Hi Linda, please look at the attached sceenshots. When you have added Lr Mobile photos to a collection you will find them in Lr Desktop under "From Lr Mobile". When you have them only as part of the "Lightroom Photos" in Lr Mobile, the corresponding Lr Desktop area is "All synced Photographs"

Screen Shot 2016-12-09 at 10.00.59.png

Iain, could you check if your photos are listed under Lr Web?...Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 

In addition could  you please send me a LR Desktop diagnostic log  - best as a private message with a downloadable dropbox link.

You can trigger the log via LR Desktop preferences -> Lightroom Mobile and when you hold down the alt key you will notice a generate diagnostic log button

-

Guido

• 9. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                          cliffclof Level 1

I have this exact same issue.  Both my iPad and https://lightroom.adobe.com/ show the photos accurately after sorting on my iPad, but Lightroom desktop is numb to the changes.  Upwards of 29,000 photos are not doing anything in the desktop app.   No pending sync issues or anything.  Restart, reopen, not working.

• 10. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                            cliffclof Level 1
                            1. Update to latest version fixed the issue.
                            • 11. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                              B_Taylor Level 1

I did the export and import suggestion, still no help. My photos show up in the cloud, but never sync to Lightroom CC. All Synced Photographs says 0, and "No photos synced with Lightroom mobile." Preferences in Lightroom shows "No sync activities." Is there any way to force a sync?

• 12. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                                greule Adobe Employee

HI Robert, could you double check, if your sync is paused? Just open up the activity window as shown in the attached screenshot....
                                Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 10.03.04.png

Hope this helps.

Guido

• 13. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                                  B_Taylor Level 1

Thanks to all. I seem to be syncing correctly now. I just did not have it turned on.

• 14. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                                    283820 Level 1

Hi.

With all the respect for the comprehensive answer, this still didn't turn on synced photo visibility on Desktop.

On my phone it says "All up to date". On desktop, running 2015.10, there's nothing in "All Synced Photographs", nothing in Preferences > Sync Activity; and I'm done with creating new catalogs.

What am I missing?

I'll try exporting it all to ggl photos and "Deleting all data" on desktop. Who knows.... maybe this would help. But all the struggle for the money we pay....

• 15. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                                      283820 Level 1

OK... sounds like , like some other people, I overlooked a basic switch to resume syncing in activities. It was paused by default. Tx anyway.

• 16. Re: Photos in Lightroom Mobile not syncing to Lightroom Desktop
                                        martysteinberg Level 1

After reading all the feedback the solution jumped out Guido's response to check in the All Sync'd Photos catalog collection. I finally found my images there, and using right click Go To Folder in Library, it took me to a folder named after my phone!  Brilliant, of course there will be a folder named for my phone, just like and external drive has its own folder. The next simple step step is to simply select all the images from your phone folder and drag them into the folder in your main photo collection.  Shebang! ("shebang" courtesy of Peter Hurley)

You do NOT need to create a new catalog, unless you like exporting and importing data for 100's of 1000's of images :-)