5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2016 6:47 PM by Socrates_in_NJ

Controlling shadows

Socrates_in_NJ Level 2

Lightroom CC 2015

At the panel on the right side, there are two mechanisms for controlling highlights and shadows, one called Tone and located under "Basic" and the other called Region and located under "Tone Curve."  Why the apparent duplication?  Are there circumstances where one should be used rather than the other?

Basic.png

Tone curve.png

• 1. Re: Controlling shadows
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The tone curve has two different options. The one you are seeing and showing is the parametric curve. If you click on that little icon in the lower right-hand corner of the tone curve box it will change to the point curve. The plan will give you more precise control over specific areas of your image. I tend to use the point curve more than the parametric curve showing. Using the point curve coupled with the targeted adjustment tool it is relatively easy to make precise adjustments to any section on your image. I also use the highlights and shadows adjustments on the basic panel. Those adjustments tend to have a more "general" effect on the entire image.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Controlling shadows
            Socrates_in_NJ Level 2

Let me try to regurgitate this...

There are actually THREE highlight/shadow/etc. adjustment tools:

Basic for a more general effect on the entire image

Tone (point) curve with targeted adjustments

Tone (parametric) curve is a compromise between the above two

Am I kinda right?

• 3. Re: Controlling shadows
              Socrates_in_NJ Level 2

Wait a minute!

After posting the above, I opened Lightroom to try what you indicated (yeah, I should have done that first).  When I clicked on the icon that you referenced, the only thing that happened was that the tone curve straightened out and the sliders went away.

• 4. Re: Controlling shadows
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So now it's a point curve. You can click anywhere on the curve and adjust as needed. I like to use the point curve in conjunction with the targeted adjustment tool.

• 5. Re: Controlling shadows
                  Socrates_in_NJ Level 2

It took a little while but now I understand.  I misunderstood your reference to the targeted adjustment tool which, ironically, I've been using extensively.  Thanks.