13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 6:32 PM by johntaufa

Indesign - creating a Bible - please help

joshh44287669

Hello,

I am laying out a Bible so we can print ourselves. I have created the basic layout two columns.. I have inserted all the text and it is formatted correctly. There is 1567 total pages.

I am running into a problem where I want to be able to replicate a standard bible layout in that the book name and chapter number is available in the top left and top right hand corner of each page.

I have attached a picture I found on the internet to give you an idea of what I mean. Notice the "2 Samuel 12:15" in the top left and "2 Samuel 13:31" in top right hand corner.

How difficult is this to replicate? Note there is 1,189 chapters in the Bible and 66 books (titles) -- i am looking for the quickest/automated process to save time and focus on other tasks for this project.

Any ideas/suggestions?

10VOLUME_Xa_Page_2583.jpg

• 1. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
          johntaufa Level 1

You can do this using the 'Text Variables' feature of indesign.

Use a combination of paragraph and character styles to pick up the chapter, verse headings and paragraph numbers you need.

Do a search for text variables on the forums and let me know if you need further help.

John

• 2. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
            joshh44287669 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. So far I have worked out how to do it, but it shows it in this format:

<book name>  <Chapter number>

The problem is do I need to manually assign each chapter (>1100 chapters) with the relevant paragraph style? Do I need to manually assign each book title (66 book titles) with the character style? Is there an automated way to assign the chapter style? i.e. search for word "Chapter" and then automatically apply the style to the number afterwards?

Also, at the moment, the chapter designations are "CHAPTER 1", "CHAPTER 5" etc. When I apply the paragaph style to the whole word "CHAPTER 1" when I apply the running header rule, it shows "GENESIS CHAPTER 3", etc.

• 3. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
              Johnson156 Level 1

Me too would like to know how to do it...

• 4. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
                Scott Falkner Level 5

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 11.34.15 PM.png

You want a running header. Use the running header variable on the master page. Setup the variable with Type > Text Variable > Define. The Style is the text you want to extract from your copy to use in the headline. You can use all the text in a paragraph style or a character style. You can create more than one running header. So one might extract the last use of the Book style, one for the Chapter, and one for the Verse. Type any separators.

Sounds complicated. Untested.

• 5. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Chapter in the terms of InDesign is an INDD file as part of an InDesign Book File INDB. I would suggest to make every biblical book its own INDD file an put it together into a single INDB, like 1. Mose, 2. Mose, 3. Mose, 3. Mose, 5. Mose, Josua, Richter, … Jakobusbrief, Offenbarung des Johannes (Sorry I used the German names and order as in the English bible James is not the forelast book as it is in German).

It is important to work completely with Paragraph and Character Styles, so it is possible to draw the Running Headers via Text Variables.

There exists a specific Bible Authoring Tool for InDesign. But this is not available on the free market, only for Bible Publishers. I have forgotten its name, maybe someone else knows it.

But you should also consider, if FrameMaker would not be a better choice to set up a Bible, as it has some style features, like Inline Paragraphs, where a paragraph starts in the same line as the previous, which could help a more flexible layout as it is possible with InDesign.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
                    Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Willi Adelberger wrote:

… But you should also consider, if FrameMaker would not be a better choice to set up a Bible, as it has some style features, like Inline Paragraphs, where a paragraph starts in the same line as the previous, which could help a more flexible layout as it is possible with InDesign.

Also compare footnote support of the two apps.

As one can see with the image Josh was showing:

InDesign is not supporting footnotes like this.

1. Footnotes that span several columns

2. Advanced numbering scheme

If you want to do all this with inDesign prepare for a lot of manual work.
                    Or hire a scripter, who can automate some things.

Regards,
                    Uwe

• 7. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
                      joshh44287669 Level 1

I have managed to get the right hand side header to work (note Genesis 3:4), however, if you look on the left hand side, it does not work... it shows Genesis 2:20, when it should be Genesis 1:20 instead.

Any ideas why it does that? Right side works great, left hand side is not.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
                        joshh44287669 Level 1

Oops, I forgot to attach the file.

screen_shot-spread_page.png

• 9. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
                          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd close and re-open the document so that InDesign is getting a chance to redraw the header.
                          What is your version of InDesign?

• 10. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
                            joshh44287669 Level 1

I have tried doing that to no avail.

I am using InDesign 6.0 and I have tried CC 2014

• 11. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
                              joshh44287669 Level 1

I am assuming this issue is because on that page, it cant get it from the "previous page" only the current page.. so i guess the question is, is it possible to even fix this issue?

• 12. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
                                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not automatically, but you can add a non-printing frame in the upper left corner that hast the previous page information to be picked up.

• 13. Re: Indesign - creating a Bible - please help
                                  johntaufa Level 1

To apply the paragraph and character styles, you can just use Find/Change.

To apply the paragraph styles, first create the style with the attributes that you want, eg Font Name and size, alignment etc, then do the find/change to find text with those attributes, and under the change format option choose the paragraph style that you just created.

It's probably best to use a grep style within the paragraph style to pick up the chapter numbers/verses in the headings.

Firstly create a character style with no attributes (because you don't actually want to style the numbers, you just want to use them in text variables) then in the options for your paragraph style use a grep like this:

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 11.26.38 AM.png

The grep (\d+) is very simple but will pick up the chapter number. I'm sure you'll need to refine the grep to match what you actually need but this will give you an idea of what you can do.

Hope that helps a little.

John