12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2017 8:47 AM by Obi-wan Kenobi

Ordering of elements to choose from in cross-reference panel

Gerben Wierda Level 1

I am editing a book that has hundreds of diagrams. When I want to insert a cross reference to a diagram, I create a cross reference to the caption (standard practice afaik). But when I have to select the caption to link to, I'm presented with a list of paragraphs that runs in the hundreds. The last created is generally on top, which is often practical, but if I need another one I have to hunt the list. And this list is in no particular order. This sometimes make searching for the right item painful. Often I miss the right one and I have to search the list over and over again. The search process is either very slow, or unreliable, and given human psychology/physiology even slow and unreliable.

Is there a way I can influence this order in which ID presents the list? Ideally it would be in the order of the numbers of the items (I always know that number, so easy searching). If there is no possibility, where can I enter a feature request?

• 1. Re: Ordering of elements to choose from in cross-reference panel
          sarah@sarahhellems.com

I am running into this exact issue and would love the ability to sort the cross reference panel or (even better) search it.

• 2. Re: Ordering of elements to choose from in cross-reference panel
            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

Interesting! Tell us more!

[numbering image file, caption numbering, cross-ref. source and destination, cross-ref. format, screenshots, …]

(^/)

• 3. Re: Ordering of elements to choose from in cross-reference panel
              CMalabar

I have that exact concern about the ordering ability of that panel. It should allow us to order it alphabetically or by appearance (which is the case right now).

I'm using the cross-reference into a product application guide, on which the same product may appear on multiple pages based on specific vehicles. I then have to chose the right reference but since the text is always the same I get Part#123, Part#123(1), Part#123(2), etc scattered into the list of thousands. Scrolling to find the exact one is a pain.

Alphabetically ordered I could easily follow into that list of one specific product number at a time.

I would also suggest a kind of search field into which we could type some character of the reference we are searching.

And maybe the reference text could show the actual page number where it's located within the listing box.

• 4. Re: Ordering of elements to choose from in cross-reference panel
                Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Everyone,

I feel your pain and totally agree that we need a bigger, better, searchable, sortable, and otherwise improved x-ref panel.

The bad news is it can't be done right now.

And as much as I hate it when people just send me off to the Feature Request form, I strongly suggest you go there and fill it out with as much detail as possible:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 6. Re: Ordering of elements to choose from in cross-reference panel
                  CMalabar Level 1

If you ever use the cross-ref panel you really don't need any screenshot to understand what everyone of us is saying. The only thing that would show is a beautiful list of available paragraph sequentially ordered as they appear in the document. Whether you want to sort them alphabetically, or have a search field to help finding the right destination wouldn't show on any screenshot as it is not available.

• 7. Re: Ordering of elements to choose from in cross-reference panel
                    CMalabar Level 1

Hi Sandee, don't worry I won't feel bad you sending me to the feature request. I totally understand that it's the only way to get things moving forward, and that it will be done only if enough people does the same request.

• 8. Re: Ordering of elements to choose from in cross-reference panel

Thanks a lot for these explanations!    I totally ignored about cross-references!

Just for comments:

Imagine the captions using an identification way as an auto-numbering para style as: "Figure 3.15 ………" ("3" for Chapter number, "15" for figure numbering in this chapter)!

Then, imagine you want to insert a cross-reference in the text as: "(see Figure 3.15, page 47)"!

Finally, imagine you simply have to type, instead of the CR: 3.15, to indicate you refer to the Figure 3.15!

… and now, imagine you just have to play 1 click to launch a script that will create hundreds of cross-references in the doc!

without doing anything else? Maybe a coffee, watching your computer playing alone!

But have you such imagination? 

… So, YES! I need more information!

(^/)

• 9. Re: Ordering of elements to choose from in cross-reference panel
                        CMalabar Level 1

First I did not meant anything about you knowing or not about cross-references, I only state that if you ever used the panel (without scripting that is) you know that there is not much in it. Select paragraph style, select occurence needed, select cross-reference style... end.

Now for your comments, it's fine to leave such power in the hand of scripting, but this is certainly not the average user level. Also unless I haven't read enough about the javascript documentation it doesn't seems to be all that clear for anyone not a bit technologically inclined. Many people using InDesign are more of the typesetter type and they are using it for layout not programming, and a search box would be way more helpful that a week learning javascript.

I think that your answer would be more appealing have it been "It's actually not possible within the InDesign xref panel, but maybe a script could be helpful in resolving your problem. I may help if you provide me some more information such as... "

Most of us don't need anything fancy at all and we probably don't need to create hundreds of cross-references, we just need to do some based on a paragraph style that happens to be use enough in the doc to render the list a pain to hunt through even tough we know the exact sentence we are searching for.

• 10. Re: Ordering of elements to choose from in cross-reference panel

Some designers could really need to create hundreds of cross-references and hyperlinks! …

Not unusual when you create books! … And I agree with all of you ! Do it manually, with actual InDesign CR panel is very painful and a time wasting! …

For this reason, Javascript can be, in these kinds of situation, say, ... so interesting! …

Just to to do in 1 click what it will manually take you hours!  

A sample [just for comment!]

(^/)

• 11. Re: Ordering of elements to choose from in cross-reference panel
                            CMalabar Level 1

This does in fact looks very interesting!

Do you have a good source that would allow one to learn InDesign Javascript basics up to being able to write such script (ça peut-être en français). I've download the scripting reference many time and was able to make some very simple scripts but I always find that it was very trial and errors.

From what I could see you probably are searching for a specific stylesheet then assign it the source marker but I'm not really sure I understand how the destination marker would be set.

Bonne journée ; )

• 12. Re: Ordering of elements to choose from in cross-reference panel

From our Great Master, Peter Kahrel:  Scripting InDesign CS3/4 with JavaScript - O'Reilly Media

What the script exactly does is exactly what you would like to do! 

You choose "Figure x" in your text and replace it by inserting a cross-reference to its caption, as "Figure x. Blablabla", "Figure x. " corresponding in this caption to an auto-numbering created by the applied para style!!!

But actually, you need to find the good para in a list in the CR panel! …

The script only does it instead of you and it's happy to do it for you [I think!]! 

(^/)