12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 9:47 AM by BobLevine

Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package

David McGinnis

I have packaged a file in InDesign CC 2015. The fonts folder is in the package and there are no warnings associated with them. So why is my print provider not able to use those fonts? We share files back and forth with Dropbox. The provider thinks my fonts are the problem because they don't have extensions on the filenames, but if InDesign is packaging the fonts from a document that works properly on my side, shouldn't those font files be complete and working?

Another idea of why it isn't working is that the print provider is trying to make minor text changes in the pdf file (and loading those packaged fonts into their system first). I believe they should be able to do this, so why is it when they try to load those packaged fonts that there are serious errors and they don't work?

Please ignore the licensing and rights issue for this question because we are working for the same company and do have rights to use those files to print these documents. I am concerned with the mechanics of how I can have another member of my company use the font files of an InDesign package folder.

Thank you for any help you can offer!

• 1. Re: Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Are you on Mac and they on Windows? If so, any Mac fonts would be worthless.

All that said, I’d never send a packaged file for printing. PDF is a far better choice.

• 2. Re: Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are two kinds of fonts which cannot be packaged: Asian fonts which are protected and Typekit fonts. For Typekit fonts, if you're using them in your publication and you're sending the InDesign file (rather than a PDF), your service provider must have a copy of InDesign CC 2015. Then they can open up the InDesign CC 2015 file, and they should be prompted to sync the Typekit fonts you need.

Making PDFs is a good way to send a file to a print service provider, but not if use protected fonts. These are fonts which the font manufacturer doesn't allow you to include in a PDF file. You can check this in File > Package, and click on the Font category. You can see if you see protected fonts. You can also see referenced Typekit fonts which are automatically embedded in a PDF.

In order for your print service provider to edit a PDF file, they need to have the fonts which are to be edited installed on their computer.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package
              David McGinnis Level 1

We are both working on a Mac and the printer is trying to use the print quality pdf, not the inDesign file, but wants to be able to load the fonts from the package and then edit the text in Acrobat.  The fonts are not Typekit or protected.

• 4. Re: Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package

That is ridiculous workflow, IMO.

Why not just change the InDesign text and regenerate the PDF?

All that out of the way, can you take a screenshot of the document fonts folder so we can see what you sent?

• 5. Re: Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package
                  David McGinnis Level 1

Well, the printer we're talking about is actually also my boss/client and wants the entire package to archive and keep as a complete job, but she is not a designer, so she doesn't have inDesign, just Acrobat. On my day off she wants to be able to open the print pdf, make a minor text revision and then print. That sounds like a reasonable thing to be able to do. The package should have the fonts in it for her to load and then edit the pdf, but that's what's not working.

Thanks for continuing to try to help, here's a screenshot of the packaged folder:Screenshot 2016-08-29 12.16.56.png

• 6. Re: Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

For the font's to work anywhere but in the packaged InDesign file they would need to be installed like any other font, and that requires a license. If you already have the required number of seats on your license, your boss should be able to simply install the fonts and forget about the package for anything other than archiving.

• 7. Re: Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package
                      rudo123 Level 1

If your fonts are Type 1 for Mac (or DFONT, both present in your screenshot), they will not work on Windows. Not even inside any Adobe application (on Windows). Use OTF or TTF fonts for compatibility. Also, Type 1 fonts are often packaged (from InDesign) with "Zero bytes" size (or are they damaged upon transfer?), so unusable on Mac too.

• 8. Re: Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package
                        David McGinnis Level 1

Huh. Well that makes the whole package concept a lot less useful than we always thought it was, but thanks for the information.

• 9. Re: Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package

They are only packaged that way if you unzip the file on Windows.

• 10. Re: Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The Document Installed Fonts feature (which is what allows an InDesign file to use the fonts in the Document Fonts folder) is strictly an InDesign feature, and intended to allow you to edit  the packaged files using exactly the same versions of fonts that were used originally when supplying the native files to a service bureau.

• 11. Re: Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package
                              David McGinnis Level 1

BobLevine, I am not sure what your last message relates to, could you explain? I'd like to understand this subject fully. But there was no zipping or Windows machine involved in this, so what were you talking about? Thank you again for your time!!

• 12. Re: Use of Fonts in an InDesign Package

Yeah, sorry about that. That is of course one of the issues with Mac fonts, but even sharing them on a Dropbox folder would cause an issue if the folder was opened on a Windows machine.

We can only see the file names and without extensions and/or file sizes it's hard to tell if this ever was the case.