4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2016 10:07 AM by Laubender

InDesign changes graph bars upon printout

info@usworkworld.com Level 1

I use InDesign to create classroom lessons.

I use DeltaGraph to create graphs to use inside the lessons.

I normally create graph inside DeltaGraph, then export as eps (gives clearest image) to desktop.

I import eps from desktop into InDesign document, and place.

The graph looks perfect.

I save InDesign document as a PDF (about 3 pages with lesson and answer sheet).

I open PDF exported from InDesign, and the lesson with graph looks perfect.

I print PDF, and the graph loses the lines on the graph bars!

I have 3 bars in graph -- top is all black (prints ok), middle is stripe (the stripes are gone), bottom is white (prints ok).

Therefore I have 3 bars -- from top to bottom -- black, white, white.

The PDF exported from InDesign shows 3 bars -- from top to bottom -- black, stripe, white.

This graph is in black and white -- no color.

Can I attach screen shots to show how perfect everything looks until PDF is printed?

I have completed many, many lessons and this is the first time the PDF saved from InDesign prints out different than InDesign shows on its exported PDF.

What is happening?

JoAnn

• 1. Re: InDesign changes graph bars upon printout
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi JoAnn,

to present some screen shots inline with your text in a reply, use the Forum's tools from the editing and formatting bar:

InsertInlineImage-ScreenCapture-AdobeForums.png

Best,
          Uwe

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign changes graph bars upon printout

About your problem:
            I never used DeltaGraph so I cannot tell, if DeltaGraph is able to save or export a graph to PDF.
            That would be the preferred solution, I think.

When using EPS with InDesign there could be two layers of information, that can be confusing:

1. An embedded preview image showing: X

2. The Encapsulated PostScript (EPS) code printing or exporting to PDF by interpreting the EPS code resulting in: Y

To get the Y on your page instead of X (the embedded preview image) you could force inDesign to interpret the EPS code while placing the EPS. When importing, tick the options for EPS import and chose "Convert PostScript to Pixel" (roughly translated from my German InDesign: "PostScript in Pixelbild umwandeln") in the screen rendering section for viewing the EPS after it's placed.

From my German InDesign showing the EPS Import Options:

ScreenRenderingOfEPS-BeforePlace.png

If the screen representation now is different to what you've seen before, we identified the culprit.

We did not solve the problem, though…

A differnt approach could be using Adobe Distiller that comes along with Acrobat Pro, distill a PDF out of the EPS and inspect the result with Acrobat Pro.

Regards,
            Uwe

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: InDesign changes graph bars upon printout
              info@usworkworld.com Level 1

Thank you.

I am experimenting with features you showed me.

JoAnn

• 4. Re: InDesign changes graph bars upon printout

Hi JoAnn,

did you come to a conclusion what exactly went wrong with your graph?

You said:

Can I attach screen shots to show how perfect everything looks until PDF is printed?

Sure. You have to use the "Insert Image" functionality of the forum software to insert a screenshot at the insertion point while editing a reply:

InsertInlineImage-ScreenCapture-AdobeForums.png

You further say, that your PDF is looking fine, but the printing is wrong.
                What kind of printer are you using?

Could it be, that DeltaGraph is using a very thin line for the lines you cannot see after printing?
                You could inspect the details in your PDF with Acrobat Pro. Line weight, color etc.pp. …

Regards,
                Uwe