6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 6:25 PM by rechmbrs

Pixel Shift and old ACR 9.1.1

rechmbrs Level 1

Pentax K-3 II Review - Processing Pixel Shifted RAWs | PentaxForums.com Reviews  this article states that at one time ACR 9.1.1 and even with ACR 9.6.1, Pixel Shift for Pentax cameras can be controlled by using the sharpening parameter.   Can someone please verify whether this was and is correct?  I believe it was/is wishful thinking on the person testing.

Appreciate your time and effort.

RONC

• 1. Re: Pixel Shift and old ACR 9.1.1
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's unclear what is meant by "pixel shift... can be controlled by using the sharpening parameter".  ACR 9.1.1 does include support for PSR mode for the K3 II:  Camera Raw 9.1.1 is now available

And you can tell it is in effect on the lower DNG examples by the castle-wall-archer-notch look of all horizontal edges in the photograph, because the camera moved approximately one row of pixels up and down during the acquisition of the 4 sub-frames, perhaps due to mirror slap.  I think oversharpening in ACR is being used to show the artifacts more clearly.

You control pixel-shift by turning it on and off in the camera.  There is no switch in Adobe products that I'm aware of so if you've used pixel-shift in an inappropriate situation--one where the camera or subject has motion, then the shot will be ruined with the artifacts.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pixel Shift and old ACR 9.1.1
            rechmbrs Level 1

Steve,

Thanks for the quick response.   Hopefully we put that to rest.

I don't know how that started but it sure would be nice if ACR told the user that PSR compositing is being performed.   There probably are other "hidden" processes taking place where the user should be informed.   I requested this before.

RONC

• 3. Re: Pixel Shift and old ACR 9.1.1

It’s higher resolution if it works and ruined if it doesn’t.  That’s how you tell.  There should be a way to turn it off so you can salvage an image that has motion.

• 4. Re: Pixel Shift and old ACR 9.1.1
                rechmbrs Level 1

That was requested also in asking for user option to output just the first frame like the Pentax PDCU program offers.

How can we get both options from this thread included in ACR down the road?   I think we did both at the user site.

RONC

• 5. Re: Pixel Shift and old ACR 9.1.1

The  feedback.photoshop.com site is where to make requests. 

So far Adobe has yet to make any UI changes that aren’t generally applicable to all cameras. 

The only camera-specific things we see are in the Camera Calibration area, the camera profiles, because those must be camera-specific. 

With that design philosophy there’s no way for an idea to do something different with pixel-shift cameras to make it beyond that initial idea stage, much less be implemented in the software. 

The main reason to have such a first-vs-all subframes switch is to learn that you shouldn’t be using Pixel Shift except in a very tiny subset of scenarios because there is motion blur in almost every picture, otherwise, unless it is indoors on a sturdy tripod of a stationary subject.   Using an expensive high-megapixel, medium-format camera is the way to handle high-definition photos, otherwise.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Pixel Shift and old ACR 9.1.1
                    rechmbrs Level 1

Steve,

My take on using Pixel Shift has been extremely positive.  I look at first seldom and when I do I'm usually amazed at PSR and disappointed that I've had to live with the Bayer pattern interpolation and how poor it is.   I find far more places of improvement than problems.   I'm not overly venturesome but most of the gripes are from shooting where the single frame is compromised.

I see Adobe's stand and wish that Pentax offered something other than Silly Pickles.  Olympus has a plug-in to handle their interpolation scheme.   Correct.?

I'll keep bugging the feedback site.

Thanks and cheers,

RONC