2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 5:13 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom 2015.6 - Image Appears to be Damaged

ejg1890 Level 1

I am on Lightroom CC 2015.6 and about 2 weeks ago I began to get the message "Image Appears to be Damaged" message and the photo in Lightroom catalog does appear to be damaged.  However, when I looked at the original image its fine - appears to be no issues. It doesnt happen to all photos. I have researched the issue and some have experienced this issue with panos or with HDR.  I have issues on plain RAW files that are not pano's or HDR.

I am not sure hats causing this or how to resolve.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

• 1. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 - Image Appears to be Damaged
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Depending on how you’re examining the photo, an image can look ok in an OS or other non-raw-capable viewer because most of them show the embedded JPG preview rather than trying to decode the raw data.  LR requires the raw data be intact before it’ll let you see the photo.

In other words, the embedded JPG might be ok because it’s small and near the beginning of the image file, while the raw data might be corrupted or the entire file truncated, so that the raw data isn’t there.  The other thing could be that the camera isn’t known to LR from what it’s reading from the raw file.

If you’d like to post an example image that doesn’t open in LR, here, others can take a look.  To share a large file upload it to http://www.dropbox.com or similar large-file-hosting service and post a public share link to it, here.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 2015.6 - Image Appears to be Damaged
            dj_paige Level 9

I began to get the message "Image Appears to be Damaged"

I am not sure hats causing this or how to resolve.

This is almost always caused by a hardware malfunction somewhere. It could be camera card, card reader, hard disk or computer memory. You need to isolate the problem in order the determine which piece of hardware is causing the problem. Try importing with different hardware, and if possible, import to an entirely different computer.