5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2017 9:09 AM by derrickl68715957

Export to interactive PDF yields only <span> tags?

BBi-TM Level 1

Why does my indesign file, when exporting a fully tagged and organized structured document yields <span> tags across the entire interactive PDF? Anyone run into this?

I know I can change the tag once in PDF but why is indesign not exporting with the already assigned tags, and mapped styles to the tags that I've set. I recall fixing this one time but all current efforts have been futile. Having to tag for accessibly twice is difficult on documents with pages counts above 30.

Any help would be appreciated it!

• 1. Re: Export to interactive PDF yields only <span> tags?
          derrickl68715957 Level 1

Did you find any answer to this? I am having the same issue!

• 2. Re: Export to interactive PDF yields only <span> tags?
            olafdruemmer Level 3

Why do you care?

<span> tags are non-semantic tags but can be useful in some cases, for example for setting a language, or adding ActualText text replacements and so forth (which can be extremely useful, and difficult to achieve without the <span> tag).

This is not much different from the world of HTML where <span> tags (or <div> tags) are used extensively, mostly for technical and not for semantic reasons.

Neither <span> nor <div> reduce the degree of accessibility. Assistive technology should normally just skip them when presenting content.

Along these lines, nothing in PDF/UA (or as far as I can tell WCAG) disallow or discourage the use of <span> tags.

• 3. Re: Export to interactive PDF yields only <span> tags?
              derrickl68715957 Level 1

This is a major problem, because I am only seeing Figures, spans and tables, nothing else! I don't see any headings, paragraphs, nothing. Okay the tags panel is correct, but the TURO tool isn't, and I like using it better than slogging through the tags right off. This is not normal behaviour at all, otherwise I have nothing against the span tag at all

• 4. Re: Export to interactive PDF yields only <span> tags?
                olafdruemmer Level 3

Tagged PDF is called Tagged PDF because it relies on tags to represent the semantic structure. Tagged PDF is not based on or determined by TURO (that is, it is not based on or depending on the sequence in which content objects are contained in the PDF syntax). You may have to get used to the Tags panel - it's your friend if you want to get tagged PDF right...

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Export to interactive PDF yields only <span> tags?
                  derrickl68715957 Level 1

This is a major software issue that not many people have happen. I have been working with Acrobat Pro since it came out and rarely had issues, but this may be InDesign having a major issue. The TURO shows the tags from the tags panel, it shouldn't be showing different tags-it should echo the Tags panel, and in this case it isn't doing that, it is showing different tags, which is where the problem lies.

While tags can go wrong, in this case it is a problem with the file causing the issue, and Adobe can't tell me why it is happening, they are investigating. Very few people on the net are having this issue, and there is no answer on it yet.

It is a mystery!

1 person found this helpful