3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 3:48 PM by john beardsworth

Importing xmp information into metadata presets

andrewb10813668

Hi, I wondered if I could ask you some questions about Lightroom. I have started using it to edit my photographs and would like to ask about the metadata presets that you can use. I have some clients who send me captions for the events in xmp format. Is it possible to import these into the metadata presets and apply them to a whole bunch of photos rather than having to input the details manually? I know you can make a preset and save it, but that means having to start from afresh each time. Is there a way to import the info they send me straight into these presets?

I can import the xmp files into photoshop but that means having to go into each individual photo and import the files.

Any advice you can give would be great.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Importing xmp information into metadata presets
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

There's no way to directly import information into a metadata preset.  However, there may be an easier way to accomplish your task. Upload a sample XMP file you've received to Dropbox (or similar) and post the sharing link here. With that, we can probably suggest an easier method.

• 2. Re: Importing xmp information into metadata presets
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have to apply the xmp template to an image in either Bridge (best) or Photoshop, or maybe in PhotoMechanic. Then get the image into Lightroom and then save a metadata preset or just sync that image's metadata to the other images.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Importing xmp information into metadata presets
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
              I have some clients who send me captions for the events in xmp format.

If they are indeed just sending you captions, then an easy method is:

1. Edit the XMP file in a text editor, e.g. Notepad on Windows or TextEdit on Mac.

2. Copy the caption.

3. In LR, select all the photos to which the caption should be applied.

4. In the Metadata panel on the right of Library, paste the caption from step 2 into the Caption field.

Only if there is more than one field that needs to be set for each photo (e.g. Title, Caption, and Job Identifier) would it be profitable to apply the XMP template in Bridge or PS and then import the image into LR.  Posting a sample XMP file would make it clear which field(s) are being set.