8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 4:13 PM by iKevinf

New to LR. Develop & Library displays slight difference

iKevinf

So I'm very new to LR, I'm literally working on my first image, mostly to get familiar with the application. So as I was jumping between the two sections, Library and Develop, I noticed that there's a slight change in the image. It's almost getting a bit faded in the library section compared to the develop section.

Here's a video of what I mean. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: New to LR. Develop & Library displays slight difference
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The previews shown in Library are stored with an AdobeRGB profile.  The develop rendering is from a ProPhotoRGB internal profile that holds more colors.  The issue seems to be a blackpoint difference because only the darker colors change. 

One possibility is that the Preview cache is corrupted so the preview is an older version of the image before some sort of adjustment was applied that lightened the shadows.  This should be easy enough to test by making some obvious adjustment and make sure it propagates to the Library view as well as being visible in Develop.

More likely is that your monitor profile is not quite right and recalibrating your display while starting with the sRGB profile having been assigned might fix the issue. 

See here:  http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-wh ether-its-corrupted/

• 2. Re: New to LR. Develop & Library displays slight difference
            iKevinf Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

I just tried doing a calibration, my attempt at doing it manually didn't work very well, however I tried changing from the sRGB profile I have to the Adobe RGB (1998) (I'm on a Mac) and while still noticeable, it's much less. Only problem to me is that I find this profile a little more faded and less colourful.

I suppose I could play around with some of these profiles and see what results I can get.

• 3. Re: New to LR. Develop & Library displays slight difference
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How old is your Mac and the OS?

If you can't calibrate it properly, it would be better to leave it sRGB than change to the faded AdobeRGB, because with the faded look you'll be overcompensating and everyone else will see oversaturated colors when they view your images on their computer.

Try Exporting an image with the sRGB profile, then reimporting it and comparing that reimported Export to both Library and Develop versions of the original to see which one matches the Export more closely.

• 4. Re: New to LR. Develop & Library displays slight difference
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The image shadow area is lighter in the Library module even at 1:1 Zoom view. Since this area is black (i.e. not color) it's not likely the Library module's Adobe RGB color space is causing the issue. I suggest unchecking 'Use Graphics Processor in your LR Preferences as shown below and check the shadow area again again at 1:1 Zoom view.

• 5. Re: New to LR. Develop & Library displays slight difference
                  iKevinf Level 1

ssprengel wrote:

How old is your Mac and the OS?

If you can't calibrate it properly, it would be better to leave it sRGB than change to the faded AdobeRGB, because with the faded look you'll be overcompensating and everyone else will see oversaturated colors when they view your images on their computer.

Try Exporting an image with the sRGB profile, then reimporting it and comparing that reimported Export to both Library and Develop versions of the original to see which one matches the Export more closely.

My Mac is a mid 2010 Mac pro running the latest version of OS X (10.11.6).

• 6. Re: New to LR. Develop & Library displays slight difference
                    iKevinf Level 1

trshaner wrote:

The image shadow area is lighter in the Library module even at 1:1 Zoom view. Since this area is black (i.e. not color) it's not likely the Library module's Adobe RGB color space is causing the issue. I suggest unchecking 'Use Graphics Processor in your LR Preferences as shown below and check the shadow area again again at 1:1 Zoom view.

Ok thanks, I'll try that out and report the result. For the record, my graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1 gb VRAM.

EDIT: Ok so I tried it and it does seem to positively affect my problem. When disabled, the issue is far less obvious. Thanks for that! Can I ask you, what disadvantage will I be at while having this option disabled?

• 7. Re: New to LR. Develop & Library displays slight difference
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

iKevinf wrote:

trshaner wrote:

I suggest unchecking 'Use Graphics Processor in your LR Preferences as shown below and check the shadow area again again at 1:1 Zoom view.

EDIT: Ok so I tried it and indeed it does seem to affect my problem. When disabled, the issue is far less obvious. Thanks for that! Can I ask you, what disadvantage will I be at while having this option disabled?

GPU support is most helpful with the newer high-resolution Retina displays. What OS X version are you using? Updating to the latest version of El Capitan might help. If you aren't seeing laggy controls in the Develop module with GPU disabled then I'd leave it that way.

If you're still seeing a difference between the Develop and Library module at Fit view, but not at 1:1 view you may have a 2nd issue. High ISO image files (or long exposures) with over-sharpening and/or insufficient Luminance Noise Reduction can cause the Library module preview (and reduced size Exports) to appear lighter at less than 1:1 Zoom view (i.e. Fit view). You can test this by using modest Sharpening and Noise Reduction settings as shown below. You can fine-tune the Detail panel adjustments, but only do so at 1:1 Zoom view and make sure image noise remains low. More here: Re: Develop module & library module aren't matching

• 8. Re: New to LR. Develop & Library displays slight difference
                        iKevinf Level 1

trshaner wrote:

iKevinf wrote:

trshaner wrote:

I suggest unchecking 'Use Graphics Processor in your LR Preferences as shown below and check the shadow area again again at 1:1 Zoom view.

EDIT: Ok so I tried it and indeed it does seem to affect my problem. When disabled, the issue is far less obvious. Thanks for that! Can I ask you, what disadvantage will I be at while having this option disabled?

GPU support is most helpful with the newer high-resolution Retina displays. What OS X version are you using? Updating to the latest version of El Capitan might help. If you aren't seeing laggy controls in the Develop module with GPU disabled then I'd leave it that way.

If you're still seeing a difference between the Develop and Library module at Fit view, but not at 1:1 view you may have a 2nd issue. High ISO image files (or long exposures) with over-sharpening and/or insufficient Luminance Noise Reduction can cause the Library module preview (and reduced size Exports) to appear lighter at less than 1:1 Zoom view (i.e. Fit view). You can test this by using modest Sharpening and Noise Reduction settings as shown below. You can fine-tune the Detail panel adjustments, but only do so at 1:1 Zoom view and make sure image noise remains low. More here: Re: Develop module & library module aren't matching

I'm using the current version of El Capitan, 10.11.6. So far I haven't noticed any laggy controls with the graphics card disabled, but I haven't done much since.

I'll try your other suggestion too and see what happens. Thanks.