4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 11:21 AM by mbirame

How to animate pushing in face of shape (pics)

mbirame

Hi folks,

I am quite new to After Effects.  I am trying to achieve an effect where I have a triangle and then inside the face of that triangle another triangle gets drawn.  Then the face of that new triangle gets pushed into the larger shape-simulating depth.  I mocked up basically what my before and after idea is using sketchup, but I don't know how to achieve this in after effects.  Any help or pointers towards tutorials that do this sort of thing would be much appreciated! 

before:

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 1.07.01 AM.png

after:

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 1.07.35 AM.png

thank you!

• 1. Re: How to animate pushing in face of shape (pics)
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are trying to achieve this as an actual 3D object you need to be using C4D lite or maybe even Blender (blender.org). If you just want to simulate 3D then you can simply animate shape layers and paths or create your simulated 3D illustration as a layered Illustrator file and create your animation separately.  Either technique will require some study on how to use the tools.

Here's what faking the 3D with shape layers might look like:

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 5.11.15 AM.png

I've rearranged the workspace so you can see the modified and animated properties of the shape layers. Here's the AEP for the project.

Dropbox - fake 3d Triangle.aep (note: your browser may add a .txt extension to the aep file. Just delete it and you should be able to open it.

fake3d.gif

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to animate pushing in face of shape (pics)
            mbirame Level 1

That will actually work perfectly for my needs.  I am trying to recreate the shape by following along with your provided .aep.  You already just taught me a ton ("Trim paths" awesome!!).  Can you please go in to how you created the shape that is "Shape Layer 5" on your provided .aep?  I see there is a path there-what is the second keyframe on that path?  It's sort of shaped like an hourglass instead of a diamond....I'm sure this is a total newbie question, so I really appreciate the help! 

When you create that shape, are you figuring out in advance exactly how the shape needs to look and then masking it and using the path to unhide it, or is the path "moving" the shape into place?  Thanks so much.

• 3. Re: How to animate pushing in face of shape (pics)
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mbirame wrote:

Can you please go in to how you created the shape that is "Shape Layer 5" on your provided .aep? I see there is a path there-what is the second keyframe on that path? It's sort of shaped like an hourglass instead of a diamond....I'm sure this is a total newbie question, so I really appreciate the help!

I actually started with the finished drawing. That is where I set the first keyframes. I used the grid (Ctrl/cmnd + ; ) and turned on snap to grid to help align the verticies. Then I moved back in the timeline and moved each vertex to the it's correct starting point. Path points always move in a straight line unless you do some advanced interpolation.

The diamond shaped keyframe indicates there has been some easing applied. This makes the animation look better. You can use the Keyframe Assistant or the shortcut F9 to do that to any selected keyframe and then use the graph editor to fine-tune the speed and the feeling you get from the animation.

When you create that shape, are you figuring out in advance exactly how the shape needs to look and then masking it and using the path to unhide it, or is the path "moving" the shape into place?

There is no masking. As I said before, and this applies to a lot of animation, I started where I wanted to end up and then picked a point earlier in time to move the paths to their starting positions. When I am  animating logos  or setting type I almost always start by placing the elements in their final resting position and then moving the CTI to the right so I can set the starting position. This is a much faster and more accurate way to work.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to animate pushing in face of shape (pics)
                mbirame Level 1

This is wonderful.  Thank you so much for taking the time.  I figured out a way to get the effect by doing a "save frame as file" and then using the right half of the outer face to cover the inner triangle as it slides back.  I love how there are so many ways to achieve something.  So much for me to learn!