2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 7:15 AM by Rick Gerard

Adobe to lossless intermediate codec color issues

mumer8637@gmail.com

I have a video shot in 4K 30fps YUV in H264 format that I have color graded in After Effects. I need the output to be in H264 and Adobe Media Encoder kinda sucks for H264 as it introduces artifacts even when bitrates are in excess of 16mbps (according to many professionals and my own personal tests). Therefore, I intend to use Handbrake for final output. The trouble is that I am getting slightly washed out colors (blacks reduced a bit i guess) when going to lossless intermediate codecs. I tried the following just to eliminate any limitation of the codecs:

Colors preserved in following scenarios:

Adobe AE Project > Cineform YUV 10-bit

Adobe AE Project > H264 (AME)

Adobe AE Project > Lagarth RGB

Adobe AE Project > Huffyuv RGB

Adobe AE Project > Uncompressed 24 bit

Faded colors in following scenarios:

Adobe AE Project > Lagarth YUV2

Adobe AE Project > Lagarth RGB > H264 (Handbrake)

Adobe AE Project > Huffyuv RGB > H264 (Handbrake)

Adobe AE Project > Uncompressed 24 bit > H264 (Handbrake)

As you can see that despite the source being in YUV, lossless output to Lagarth YUV is screwing colors. Huffyuv will simply not let me force a YUV output and will stick to RGB. The only lossless way to keep the colors intact is Cineform YUV or Lagarth RGB or Huffyuv RGB (doesn't makes any sense since one of them is infact YUV!!!). An RGB to YUV output via handbrake also washes the color out. The only way that works for now to get H264 directly via AME but I can't understand any logic as to why the lossless codecs won't retain color in YUV when Cineform and H264 (via AME) are both YUV!?