5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2016 11:25 PM by Rajovo

After Effects never use most of my RAM and CPU

Rajovo

I'm really upset with After Effects.

I have a highest model of 2015 Retina 5k iMac with 24 GB RAM. After Effects NEVER uses more than, say 10-11 GB, even if it's set to 18 GB in Prefs. Usually it goes like this:

1) I start a RAM preview. RAM usage goes up, green bar grows. Preview is ok and realtime.

2) at some point, usually around 10-11 GB, RAM usage by AE goes WAY down to about 2 GB - the memory just purges

3) green bar STAYS green but preview is nowhere near realtime. Even if the BAR IS STILL GREEN.

4) memory usage just hovers around 5-8 GB

5) AE barely uses two cores of my four, CPU usage is mostly around 140-160 %

6) Using disk cache has no effect, behaviour and CPU/RAM usage is the same

Most of my iMac's power is unused most of the time. Performance in AE is about the same as of my previous mid-2011 21,5" iMac.

To sum up,

- AE NEVER uses the max amount of memory dedicated to it. About 10 GB of my RAM is always unused.

- most of CPU is unused

- using other apps or just AE has no bearing on the situation

- this is 13.8.1.38 on OSX 10.11.6, but it's been the same for years

Please advise.

• 1. Re: After Effects never use most of my RAM and CPU
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is just the way frame by frame processing of video works. With the current release you will never get 100% utilization of your system power. The team is working on speed and efficiency improvements but a frame of video is never going to require 100% of system resources to calculate. You don't get 100% of the CPU either because each item in the stack of each layer is calculated separately    and then added to the mix. The best you can expect comes from allocation of at least 4 gig of ram to other apps and making sure all of your processors are avaible in your preference settings.

• 2. Re: After Effects never use most of my RAM and CPU
            Rajovo Level 1

Thanks, and any info on the RAM issue? I mean, what's the point of recommending powerful CPUs, GPUs and heaps of RAM if AE simply cannot utilize any of it? But I guess we'll have to wait for their new architecture.

• 3. Re: After Effects never use most of my RAM and CPU
              davidg78748104

Very good article, helps me tremendously with plans for my next workstation!

• 4. Re: After Effects never use most of my RAM and CPU
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What's the point? The faster the CPU the faster it will crunch the numbers. Some CPU's are more efficient at handling AE today and those processors have a much better chance of efficiently working with AE in the future. Your GPU decision should be based more on Premiere Pro than AE because, according to announcements from Adobe they are moving AE toward using more of the same playback engine in the future. The amount of ram you have is directly related to the length of your RAM preview so more is better.

One of the most common errors folks make when setting their preferences is trying to allocate too much ram to AE. You should leave 4 GB of ram minimum for other applications and your allocation to AE should be in multiples of 4GB. Other than that and very fast and well connected hard drives for the cache, there's not much you can do to improve the performance of AE on your system.

• 5. Re: After Effects never use most of my RAM and CPU
                  Rajovo Level 1

"Faster CPU and plenty of RAM is better". Except, no. I state in my original post that most of my RAM allocated to AE is left unused (I've got 6 out of 24 reserved for other apps), CPU is barely used and GPU is wholly unused (that I know about and don't care). My cache is on Fusion Drive with plenty of space and there's never more than 20-30 MB/s throughput so that's no bottleneck either.

Also, caching just doesn't work properly. I frequently have perfectly cached timeline, then try to change something WITHOUT accepting the change (say, change color of a solid in the timeline, but hitting CANCEL) and MOST of the cache is gone.

Thats just unacceptable and other animation/compositing/effects apps don't do this. Thanks for your time though.