6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2006 5:40 AM by Martutty

Sending email with gertURL

Martutty
      I created a button to send an email. As I usually work on Mac I didn't have any problem, but the client called me to say that the button doen't work, and it do not work on windows if he has installed the outlook express. Does anyone Know how to do this. Is there another way than getURL(mailto:jsdj@where.com).???
      Thanks
      Marta
        • 1. Re: Sending email with gertURL
          Calwen Level 1
          It doesn't work cause you need to use quotes, the correct syntax is :

getURL("mailto:jsdj@where.com");
          • 2. Re: Sending email with gertURL
            Level 7
            Marta,

> I created a button to send an email. As I usually work on
            > Mac I didn't have any problem, but the client called me to
            > say that the button doen't work, and it do not work on
            > windows if he has installed the outlook express.

Rubbish!

> Does anyone Know how to do this. Is there another way
            > than getURL(mailto:jsdj@where.com).???

getURL() works just the way a hyperlink does in HTML. If a mailto: link
            works for this client in an HTML page, it will work in Flash. OF course,
            the function must be properly used. According to the documentation, the
            parameter must be a string (see the getURL() entry in the ActionScript
            Language Reference for details). In your sample above, you haven't provided
            quotation marks, so the mailto: part isn't a string.

David
            stiller (at) quip (dot) net
            Dev essays: http://www.quip.net/blog/
            "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 3. Re: Sending email with gertURL
              Martutty Level 1
              I wrote it wrong when I sent the message, I am using it with cuotes. It works on Mac and even on Windows when the user has Microsoft Outlook but not with outlook express. Does it have any sense?
              Thank you very much for your reply.
              Marta
              • 4. Re: Sending email with gertURL
                Raheel_KSE
                hi
                plz check the above link, I'v created a simpe textbox and give it mailto:raheel@kse.com.pk without any quotes its working properly on windows. no mater which email client ur using either Outlook Express(installed with IE) or Microsoft Outlook Express(comes with MS-Office)

http://www.geocities.com/comp_engg/test1.html

hope u got my point!
                • 5. Re: Sending email with gertURL
                  Lacrymocéphale Level 1
                  Nothing to do with Flash. For "mailto:" to work, you need to have a default e-mail application set. On windows, see the Internet settings "Applications" tab.
                  Note that I personnaly disadvise the use of "mailto:" because not every machine have a default mail client set (those who uses webmail, shares session, connects from cybercafé, etc...). And prefer server-side solution for messaging or mail sending .
                  • 6. Re: Sending email with gertURL
                    Martutty Level 1
                    Thank you all for your help.
                    I finally got a solution. I'm using fscommand to execute a program JEMAIL.exe that at last opens the email program!!. So instead of using getURL, I'm using:
                    on(release){
                    fscommand("exec","JEMAIL.exe")
                    }
                    I got this program on : http://flashjester.com/?section=faq&cPath=28_34
                    Thanks again for your help.
                    Marta